User posts are deleted instantly when removed by staff

Hello there!

We performed an upgrade from version 2.0.0 to 2.1.6 yesterday.
Since then, our moderators and staff noticed a strange and bugging behaviour:

• When a user deletes his own post, the staff can still see it for the duration of the “delete removed posts after” setting (24h) to follow the conversation history
  • When a moderator (or admin) deletes a post from a regular user (!), the post first gets the little “deleted by…” info icon, but after a refresh of the page, the post is removed completely from the thread (and the DOM). There is no “view 1 deleted post” notice, where the removed post was previously.
  • But when a staff member removes a post from another staff member, it works and the post gets successfully replaced by the “view 1 deleted post” notice
  • on the “deleted posts” subpage on a user profile, the removed post gets listed, but this is extremely cumbersome to work with

On a test forum with 2.1.3, this behaviour doesn’t exist. On 2.1.6, it does.

Either this is a setting I didn’t find (and we didn’t change when upgrading!), or this seems to be a bug.

No repro, I just posted via my test user, then deleted it from my admin user. Everything looks as expected.

Are you running any custom plugins? Did you follow the official install instructions?

3 Likes

Was this on the old version 2.1 as reported above, or current 2.2?

2 Likes

Oh, missed that. I tested here on Meta, so that’d be 2.2. I’ll try and find a site running on stable to test…

Realized finding a stable site was not enough, I need admin access so I ended up just doing a new install. Still no repro, “view 1 hidden reply” is visible after refresh as expected.

1 Like

It sounds like something is interfering with the display of small action posts. @DoomDesign do you see other small action posts OK? If not, do they display in safe mode?