Users bypassing the 10-character rule

(Sean Wangnick) #1

Users in our community are using BBCode to bypass our 10-character minimum rule when posting in a topic. For example, if someone just says “Yes”, Discourse won’t let you post it. To get around that, simply type:

[size]Yes[/size]

which comes out as:

[size]Yes[/size]

This completely defeats the purpose of the 10-character minimum rule, because now users feel more free to use the forum as a chat room, instead of a very large book of archived information that can be looked back on later.

When wikis are edited, they should be bumped
(Sam Saffron) #2

This is essentially a battle you can not win. If we seal this one they will just come up with another one.

Post blankish unicode, post a blank image prefixing the yes, etc.

The way to handle this is simply to flag as abuse and tell them to stop.

Don't count the spoiler wrapper towards the min post length requirement
Small Bug with Min Characters

You could count the characters in the rendered output, but that’s an ugly hack… .

(se oli tonnin seteli) #4

Ssshhh, me and my users are having hard enough time as it is circumventing restrictions such as not being able to like your own posts :smile:

Seriously though, structurally I suppose it’s ugly but then again output is what matters.

However, if this type of behaviour is considered a problem, I’d ask myself is it just me or can some questions simply be answered with just one word, rather than enforce a culture of ratting just because your policies can rightfully be considered silly?

(J) #5

There are times when the best expressions aren’t very wordy. So a vote down on 10-characters.

Yet, when I reconsidered my intended short messages, it sorta all boils down to a “heart”, except… I’ve never liked “like” in any forum.

And what about when my shortest utterances fall outside of a like/heart. For examples:
I disagree.
I wouldn’t.
Not likely.

In our forum, the 10-character rule ends up with posts like:
It said my post was too short so I had to add unneeded words; so how are you? I just was going to say I disagree.

or

Hmmm My teacher always said shorter is better but not here, I guess. Was going to post something short…e.g… I wouldn’t. Gee, glad it wasn’t any longer or I would have forgotten what I was going to say! :wink: There! now I am over the limit!

So which is better? A short on-topic message, or a rule that introduces unneeded commentary about a forum rule? :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

So set it to one character on your Discourse. What’s the problem, exactly?

(J) #7

I didn’t mean to irritate you. I was just giving some feedback.

I’ll ask if they might adjust the length. Thank you.