Users list not complete

(Adrian Pearson) #1

Hi

I recently setup a Discourse hosted instance at www.accountingtalk.co.uk. In Admin I can see the full list of users but when selecting Users from the hamburger I only see myself and Discourse Support.

Can anyone please explain?

Thanks
Adrian

(Michael Downey) #2

Despite the misleading name, it’s not a user directory. Rather, it’s a leaderboard of the “top” users for the period specified at the top (week, month, quarter, etc.).

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Another way to look at this, /users only covers active users. If you are completely inactive, no reading, no posting, just created an account and closed the browser forever – you won’t show up there.

/admin has the complete user list including users that are not doing anything on the site.

(Michael Downey) #4

AFAICT the leaderboard numbers still don’t count people reading posts & topics via email notifications, correct?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

How so? There is an entire column for read.

Oh you mean if you only get email, and never visit the website.

Yeah, there is no known reliable way to send an image through email that triggers a callback – it’s a common spam technique to see if anyone read the spam email you just sent, so images get mirrored (copied to local to the email server) or just blocked outright.

(Michael Downey) #6

Yes, that’s what I mean.

This really wasn’t a problem for very long. Emailers quickly figured out that they can send unique file names for the images and at least they track unique opens/reads. (Multiple reads per email, not so much.)