User's Name not displayed on profile?

(Barry Parr) #1

The user’s profile shows their Username, but not their (Full) Name.

I’m not sure if this is a feature request or a support request, but I need to be able to see the user’s Name during he approval process. I have a real name policy on my website and I want to do so within our forum as well.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Do you mean in the Admin, Users, Pending?

You can click or tap the user’s avatar to bring up their user card which will show fuller information on that user, including full name if provided.

(Barry Parr) #3

Yes, in Admin/Users/Pending.

As an admin looking at a pending user, when I view their profile I can’t see what they’ve set their Name to. I’d like to be able to view it, so I can encourage them to use their real name on the site if they’re not already do so.

Is there a reason the Name field isn’t displayed in the user profile the admin sees?

When I mouse over their avatar in the Users tab, I see their Username, not their Name. Is there somewhere besides in a post that the user’s avatar brings up their user card? I want to see their name before they do any posting.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Clicking or tapping the avatar should show the user card pop up. @techapj can you verify this is the case for the pending users page when user approval is on?

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #5

The reminds me of these two long standing topics:

@barryparr your name isn’t shown here because of the latter.

(Barry Parr) #6

I don’t think so.

I created an account with a different username and full name. I still can’t see the full name.

(Barry Parr) #7

@codinghorror, @techAPJ: Any word on showing full names for pending users? I’m in public beta now and this is making me nervous.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

@techapj can you check the above? See my reply upstream that never got an answer.

(Arpit Jalan) #9

Yes, I can confirm that tapping on Pending users (with unactivated accounts) avatar do not show up user card pop up. This is because:

Since the account is not validated yet, the username and avatar is greyed out and the user profile page is inaccessible.

I think full name required setting is what you are looking for:

Enabling that setting will make full name a required field at user signup time.

(Barry Parr) #10

I have the full name required option set to yes.

However, if I can’t see the full name of pending users, I have no idea what they’ve put in that field. For example, I have one user who entered his full name as “Dan”. I approved the account, but would have requested a full name before approval had I known this.

Is there a reason the user’s full name is not displayed on the Admin profile, both for pending and approved accounts? Its seems like everything except full name is displayed.

(Arpit Jalan) #11

This is not entirely true. The user full name is displayed on user card for approved accounts:

The user card will show up as soon as you click on user avatar.

The only case in which user card will not show up is when the user has not activated the account (email verification). In that case the username is greyed out to indicate that the account is not activated.

(Barry Parr) #12

I understand, but I’m wondering why the full name is not show on this page, unlike every other field in the user profile.

I need to see the full name for pending accounts, and I don’t understand why it’s not shown.

(Jeff Atwood) #13

@techapj maybe we should add that field to admin?

(Arpit Jalan) #14

Done! :sunny:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/0717517332673007c0ef1232d9816aedc93612d5

Wish I could edit a user's full name from admin
(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #15

It’s like torture… waiting for that to be ready for Tests Passed :wink:

(Kane York) #16

Looks like the build is failing :confused:

(Sam Saffron) #17

you will be waiting a bit, I need to fix some stuff in our build process.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #18

Congrats on getting past the build process issues @sam

@techAPJ I can see a user’s name now, should I be able to edit it as well? [related]

(Barry Parr) #19

Thanks for adding the full name to the admin profile. That’s a big help.

I’ll second the request to edit the name, but this alone is a huge step forward for me.

(Ryan Wanger) #20

Good change guys - thanks! I notice it now on the admin page. But it’s missing from the profile page on my own discourse instance (perhaps because we’ve disallowed changing your full name?).