Users picks badges

badge

(dosch) #1

Is there a way in Discourse to allow users to pick some badges?
Not all badges need to be an award, some badges could also be used to express something about the user. (like which hardware they own in the case of my forum)

Thanks for any help on this!

(Sam Saffron) #2

Users can pick one badge to display as title (out of the badges you have that are marked as “Allow badge to be used as title”).

Admins can assign arbitrary and custom badges to users.

(dosch) #3

Thank you Sam.

I made five badges. They all have these values set:

• Allow badge to be used as a title
  • Show badge on the public badges page
  • Enable badge

But in my profile preferences, under User Card Badge, I can pick none of them. Am I missing something?

(Sam Saffron) #4

You need to assign the badge to a user via the admin user page

(dosch) #5

ah, that is where the bottle-neck is.

So there is no way all users on my site can pick-and-choose one of these five badges?
Unless I assign all five badges by hand to all members first

(Sam Saffron) #6

Correct, that is how the system works

(dosch) #7

Ok, thank you for explaining!

I might move over to another section of the site and add this as a feature request :smile:

(Louis Rossouw) #8

Why not just auto assign those badges to all users?

(dosch) #9

because the badges would be used to show off which version of hardware the people use. Not all people have the same one.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #10

What about this:

Some forum, in special hardware-related ones, have “[Product] Owners Club” topics. Where everyone who has the product gather to talk about it, share techniques and so.

You can create a badge for each of those topics you want, and use the SQL to automatically give a badge to everyone who post in the owners club topic.

Yeah, there will be some problems with people posting in the topic just to ask a question and not having the hardware, but this would be off-topic and after you move the post to another topic the badge revocation system would take care of.

(Louis Rossouw) #11

Cool idea. Could have a post a pic of yours :flushed: thread for each device/hardware item. Badges assigned accordingly?