Using discourse as your email client

(Christoph) #1

Continuing the discussion from Joe's Personal Discourse Theme:

I don’t want to hijack the other topic with a follow-up question so I’m starting a new topic. Here is the previous exchange for context:

I’m not sure I understand how you’re using discourse as your email client or how I would be able to see that on your public website. Could you elaborate?

(Joe Buhlig) #2

The Discourse instance is set on a subdomain, but I have the mail-receiver set up on the apex domain. So I’m pointing the apex MX records to the subdomain records as explained in the direct delivery topic.

I also have everything set up to send email from the top-level domain. So essentially, everything is set up to allow email to come and go on the top-level domain even though the Discourse is on the subdomain.

With those two pieces in place, I can create new groups or categories with an email address as anything I want to help funnel email where I want. But in the case of individual email addresses, I’m creating a group named “Joe” and giving it an email such as joe@domain.com. That allows me to treat that group as a personal email address.

(Christoph) #3

Okay, great. So that’s the backstage setup to be able to receive and send emails. That’s pretty similar to what discourse does by default. I guess the most important hint here is to use groups to create your email address (why not categories, though?)

But what about the frontstage: by default, the emails sent from discourse will look very different from ordinary emails…

So everytime you are sending an email to a new email address, you’re creating a new staged user, right?
And how do you make sure that those people are only getting the emails you intend to send them and not some system emails?

(Joe Buhlig) #4

I would have to set up groups to manage access to them anyway. So I don’t want the extra step. I also don’t want the clutter in my main topic list.

I can’t say this has ever been an issue for me. But to be honest, I prefer the styling ability using markdown for my emails anyway. I’m a MailMate user on the Mac, so I’m very used to writing emails in MD already.

Correct.

Last I knew, staged users don’t receive digests or anything. At least, that’s what my logs currently show. They only get the emails from me when I send a PM.