Using Discourse: Tracking tasks / TODO lists?

(Shahid N. Shah) #1

I was curious if anyone is using Discourse to generate and track “soft” tasks. As an architect and lead engineer I work with many team members in my product development projects where I often say “hey, team, check out this new tool or cool thing”. Using mentions is great is but I was curious if there was a way mark a post or topic as “TO DO” or task for a person being mentioned.

Any suggestions for using Discourse as a “soft” task tracking tool so that we know which items are open / closed, need further review, etc? Perhaps tagging or adding @TODO or @TASK or some similar special text markers might be do the trick?

By the way, we plan on integrating the TODO list in our Wiki so that items with tasks are easy to find and then when a topic is closed it can be considered “done”.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks for some great software, Discourse is terrific.

(Erik Paulsen Skålerud) #2

I believe Discourse is already thinking about an idea like this - What is the most awesome plugin for Discourse, that does not yet exist?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

“Tasks” are also mentioned here:

http://meta.discourse.org/t/custom-fields-and-custom-post-types-ex-article-recipe/7116/2?u=erlend_sh

(Michael Sullivan) #4

Was just looking for a casual way to do this too. Thinking to just add a [TODO] prefix to title and then a sort of flag or other action button added to signify status (i.e complete/closed).

In mean time, I will just use two designated categories - “Todo” and “Completed Tasks” and move topics accordingly. Not ideal of course but workable.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Seems like an OK approach. Let us know how it goes.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #6

You could also use the Tagger plugin (quickly becoming an officially supported plugin), tag posts [todo-started] and [todo-done] and filter with that.

A more advanced take on it would be to apply the [todo-started] tag to a post automatically if it has a TODO list inside it, and similarly change the tag to [todo-done] if all the items are checked.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #7

I came here looking for a way to take a bulleted list, and make it a todo list… I figured I’d put that in a wiki post & let our team work on issues.

Anyone have any good ideas ideas for plugins or workflows for todo management in Discourse?

I’ll tag this related post for good measure

and also show up

as a decent visual reference

(Sam Saffron) #8

There are quite a few way already.

and

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #9

Awesome… this is checklist plugin is exactly the todo list tracker I was looking for. thanks @cpradio and @lightyear !