Videos are showing as raw links

(Blu McCormick) #1

Hello,

Here is the actual topic I am referring to:

Here is what I type in the edit window:

Here is what the preview shows:
04%20AM
Here is what actually shows (the raw link):

Why isn’t the previewed version showing up in the actual topic that the public sees?

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

Looks fine on try:

(Blu McCormick) #3

But not for me. :disappointed: Must be something different about my set up to yours…

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

Pardon my confusion, but you’re saying that when you click the above “Can you hear me now?” link to try the post that you see there doesn’t have the video and is broken as you’ve described?

It’s hard for me to imagine how that’s the case, but what browser are you using?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Based on the screenshot, it looks like the content of that post doesn’t have the link on a line by itself, therefore it will not onebox.

Also weird that it is posted by “system” and not a person.

(Blake Erickson) #6

Yes It should be on a line all by itself for a preview. Shouldn’t it still have a link though when it’s on the same line and not be as text?

(Blu McCormick) #7

Thanks for all of your replies. I thought I’d do a very boring video of the problem. But after I did the video I realized that I am basically just showing you the edit/drafting window, preview window and could have easily have shown you a static screenshot. Oh well. What am I doing wrong here?

It is on a line by itself in the draft window, but not in the topic itself. Good point that it was done by system. I’ll do up a fresh topic by me and see if it replicates.

(Blake Erickson) #8

I wonder if it has anything to do with your horizontal rule?

Do you have an <hr> tag to create the horizontal line under the paragraph? If you do, make sure it has empty lines above and below it.

Could you also try creating a new topic maybe in your staff category to test it out with just the video link, an empty line, and then some text. I want to see if all oneboxing of videos is broken or just that topic.

Can you explain how the “system” user created this post? Was it via the api? Maybe something weird happened with the way it got created.

EDIT: sorry didn’t see

Let us know how that goes.

(Blu McCormick) #9

That fixed it, Blake. Wow, what great feedback and help, much appreciated.

I think what probably happened is that this topic was generated by someone to link with a wordpress page similar to the WP Discourse plugin set up and something about that was problematic. Redoing the topic and having me be the author was all it took to fix it.

It was linked to the “FORUM” button on this wordpress page:

Thanks, guys.