Viewing a private category while logged out should prompt for login

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #1

As it stands, if I send a user a link to a topic in a category which cannot be seen without group membership, they are prompted to login. Upon doing so, they can see the content. It’s great!

If I send the same user a link to the category itself, they are denied entrance with

Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

Is it possible to have the link to a category prompt for login as well?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Not without revealing its existence, which could be problematic. Now what did I do with the staff Racism category …

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #3

A setting to allow listing would be a nice add on.

I’m not sure how technically difficult that would be…

(Eli the Bearded) #4

So you’re okay with the “Racism is Great” topic in Staff being linked to, but not the “Racism is Great” category?

Simple fix would be to not acknowledge the category exists in the error, but still prompt to login for a retry.

(Sam Saffron) #5

Not sure if anything is revealed, cause the slug can be anything, topics are keyed on id categories on slug, I guess people can enter crazy slugs for categories to work around

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #6

Another solution is to to have the 404 page generically suggest that anonymous users login to see additional content.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #7

Aaaand with all text strings being customizable in Discourse, this is exactly what I’ve done.

It would be great to have two strings… one for 404 on a logged in user, one for 404 shown to anonymous users, but I’m less worried about a logged in user getting redundant message on a 404 than I am a logged out user being discouraged by a private link.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #8

Would it be hard to present two messages, depending on if a user is logged in or logged out?