"Watch New Topics" by default?

(canadaduane) #1

So one of the great features of Discourse is the ability to set per-topic notification preferences, e.g. Watching, Tracking, Regular, Muted.

For our site, we’d like to notify people of new topics, almost like they have set “Watching” to the entire forum. Is this currently possible? Ideally, it would be a Discourse setting, with opt-out possible by individuals.

It’s a half-step toward a mailing list type configuration, as envisioned at Mailing list (and NNTP) bridge

Ability to set the default digest notification settings
(canadaduane) #2

I just found the “When I don’t visit the site, send me an email digest of what’s new” option. I guess I’m just looking for a way to set the default for this dropdown box. As a new community, “daily” is better than “weekly”.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

We could probably make that an admin site setting if it is not already, so you could set it to taste.

It’s your forum and your choices, but this would personally give me pause, because daily always on by default emails is pretty darn aggressive – and our digest email format is serviceable, but not exactly great right now…

(Scott Schaffter) #4

Was just wondering if this was something that was still being built or if it would be helpful to work on this?

We are looking at implementing something similar and we were considering changing the option from “tracking” topics after x minutes to setting it to “watching”. We were just facing issues where users were expecting emails from all / most conversations and werent getting any. So we might make it more an option opt out vs. opt in.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #6

We will be running a list for our product’s subscribers, who expect to get emails from us. I would also like our users to get all topics by default (as they do now) and then opt-out if desired.

Until this is an option in the Admin UI, would setting users.watch_new_topics to true by default?

(Jeff Atwood) #7

This is a very dangerous thing you are describing. Is there any reason a digest mailed daily would not be sufficient, as I proposed above? Digests do contain a list of all new topics…

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #8

I’m trying to ease the transition away from the google group which currently hosts our forum.

As it stands, people must request access and self-select which they prefer: Each email, Digest, or no email. The majority choose each email, with about 20% opting for web-only or digest.

Especially given how wonderfully simple it is for users to change their preference once logged in, I’d rather inform them of their option in the welcome email, and set them up to get each email individually.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #9

Did anything ever come of this?

If not, I’d still love to have this as an admin option.

See also: