"Watching" Glyph change proposal

(Benjamin Kampmann) #1

Heyah,

just browsed the the site and in a category I am watching at the moment, shockingly clicked on the top right bang-glyph because it looked like it was something important to look at, just to learn that yes, I am watching this. Why is this a bang glyph? It has no relation to it what so ever.

From what I understand the main and only difference to “tracking” is to also receive emails about it, right? Then why isn’t that the envelope-glyph ? Or if as this is already in use for private message and you don’t want it get confused then how about the eye-glyph like it is used for the exact same feature on github:

Look how neat (using font-awesome):

I’m happy to make PR for the change if there is an okay for it.

(Sam Saffron) #2

No, no creepy eyes please, they freak me out.

(Benjamin Kampmann) #3

Envelope then? Do they also creep you out?

Edit, or as this one is already taken, how about the paperplane*? Look how cute :wink: :

(* would require us to upgrade to FontAwsome 4.1 though as this is new.)

(Sam Saffron) #4

Nahh its more than emails you get notifications for every new post in the topic … so email is a bit misleading. The bang is there to denote its important to you. I totally get that this may be a locale thing.

(Brendan) #5

What about a pair of binoculars?

Oh wait, it’s still a request from June 5th, 2012 that hasn’t been implemented :frowning:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Current glyph seems rather correct to me.

1. Invokes blue circle new count association

2. Exclamation point conveys excitement and interest.

I liked the creepy eye when I first saw it. I knew what it meant…But I can see people not like it.

They are worried about enough things watching them that are creepy.

(putting tape over my laptop’s circle seeing-eye people catcher)

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #8

I came over to meta today because I wanted to find out what was wrong that i had an exclamation point telling me I’d done something wrong.

Turns out that’s just how Watching something looks.

I think an RSS icon or a checkbox would be more on-target.