Web server not running after update

(James) #1

Well, I think that is the problem, but I’m not certain what is going on.

##Short Description:
I upgraded to the latest version of discourse through ssh and now the web server doesn’t appear to be running. At least, nothing can see to connect to it on ports 80 or 443.

##Long Description

I logged into Discourse as my admin user, clicked up on the “please upgrade.” The upgrade for discourse was greyed out. I think the other one was for Docker. So I clicked that one to upgrade. At that point, I had a web page telling me I needed to upgrade Discourse from ssh.

So I ssh’d in, did
cd /var/launcher
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

I got a message about PostgreSQL needing an update and to rebuild the app again. So I did.

After that, I didn’t see any error messages and the build seemed to finish with no issue. However, I (well Cloudflare) is unable to connect to the site. I’ve disabled CloudFlare completely to remove that as an issue.

At this point, I have absolutely no idea how to troubleshoot. Is there a guide or general steps I could take to verify pieces of the instance is working? Are there logs somewhere? How do others resolve issues with discourse?

I didn’t think to save my buffer from the very start. So here is a copy of the log when i rebuild app now (with sensitive bits removed). [Log Removed after solving problem.]

(Sam Saffron) #2

What is the website?

(James) #3

The site is discuss.addohms.com.

(Sam Saffron) #4

What’s the digitial ocean IP address? What happens when you try to access it via IP?

What does docker ps return?

what does docker logs app return?

(James) #5

The commands helped. I didn’t know about either.

The log showed problems with my SSL certs. Since I’m using Cloudflare as my CDN anyway, I just disabled SSL in discourse for now, until I can resolve the issues.

Thanks