Webhooks/Push Notifications

(Adam Baxter) #1

I wonder if it’d be worth supporting a “webhooks” (c.f. GitHub) system to hit a service when a notification is sent to a user. This would allow email notifications but also interesting things like PushBullet or Growl/Snarl/Prowl notifications

Discourse as Android Application
List of project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2016
(Claus Strasburger) #2

For anyone interested: this is related to Event Hooks for Discourse

(Sam Saffron) #3

Adding “planned” to this, cause we do want to get to this, it is not slotted to any release quite yet.

(Kane York) #5

Right now the #1 obstacle is the service worker update model. Would be solved if we force-refreshed inactive tabs after updates triggered by localStorage events from the new tab.

(Florian Bender) #6

Assuming I get what you mean: You can claim control of a page from a Service Worker without waiting for a navigation event, see Immediate Claim Recipe - General Usage - ServiceWorker Cookbook

(Kane York) #7

You still need to wait for all the out-of-date tabs to be reloaded, which in the case of someone who always sleeps their laptop and never reboots, may be on the order of several months :confused:

(Florian Bender) #8

As far as I know, you claim all loaded tabs (or none). I don’t know what happens to tabs that are unloaded (only loaded when the user clicks on the tab), but IMHO they should trigger a navigation event and will thus be handled by the registered service worker. But this is a browser/implementation issue, not an API/spec issue.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #9

Continued here: