Welcome Email has bad links for /staff and /my/preferences

(mrosas) #1

Hiya Discourse folks,

The welcome email contains links towards the bottom to the following locations (actual URLs in parens)

1. your user preferences (/my/preferences)
  2. trust level (What do user trust levels do?)
  3. civilized community behavior (https://discourse.looker.com/g=
    uidelines)
  4. staff members (/about)

Links #2 and #3 work … but #1 and #4 are relative urls so they aren’t working. I’m guessing there is a field in settings somewhere that needs to be filled in, but I can’t find it.

Pointers most welcome.

(Kane York) #2

Hah… they work if you view it on the site :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #3

The “welcome email” is a mirror of the welcome private message. The email version is only sent if a person isn’t on the site at the time of signup (per our rules for emailing users, we only email users who are not on the site and have not read the post in question), which can be hard to achieve. You basically have to sign up and then immediately close the browser.

You can test this yourself on http://try.discourse.org – sign up and see what happens.

(mrosas) #4

We are using the parameter must approve users, which I think is changing the user flow.

They signup, get a prompt that says you’ll get an email when approved. We then approve the user, and they immediately get an email with those bad links. FWIW, they also never get a PM with the welcome email.

Seems like we may want to rethink approving users since that workflow is more intuitive. We were just hesitant about auto-approving new users … will ponder changing direction if spam users aren’t an issue. Thanks for your input!

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Hmm yeah I would not recommend manually approving users unless you have serious mandatory restrictions.

(Jens Maier) #6

Oh-kay… but changing the email templates to use absolute links is still going to happen, right? :grin:

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Sure, I will change the links – they should be absolute anyway, @mrosas is right. But I’d still advise against approving all new accounts unless you have urgent reasons that you must go that route.