Welcome PM not sent as email to new users

(Dror Deleon) #1

Hi Discourse team,

I have just installed Discourse on a new fresh copy of Ubuntu 14.04 using Docker.
Unfortunately it seams that Discourse wont send welcome messages to new users.
The mail system works - The app.yml is configured with Mandrill account information and test emails are being sent successfully.
The welcome message setting is enabled.

Rebuild / bootstrap didn’t help.

Does anyone have an idea what can be done?

If you would like any additional information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Dror.

Hi @dror_deleon :smile:

Please, check the settings in the admin Menu. It should be enabled.

(Paul Apostolos) #3

Did you look in the /logs ?

Mine was doing that too and there was an issue with the welcome_user being missing from the SiteSettings.

(Dror Deleon) #4

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
@PabloC - It is enabled of course.
@paully21 - Is it relevant for the new Docker installation? i cant find this path on my machine. and if ill find it, i didnt much understand what should be done? a configuration line should be added? and in the logs there aren’t any messages related to the welcome message.

Thanks,
Dror.

(Paul Apostolos) #5

I am using the Docker installation. I’m sure I am wrong, but it seems like I was (am) missing that sitecontent with a key of “welcome_user”.

When I unchecked the box and flushed redis, all my issues went away. Of course so did welcome user messages, but oh well.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

This does not mean sidekiq is working – the test email function just validates that your email settings are correct.

However, if you did a fresh Docker install on Digital Ocean, I can’t think of any reason sidekiq wouldn’t be running. you can go to the URL https://yourforum.example.org/sidekiq to see if anything’s up.

Question: when you followed the install guide, did you add any “extra” steps, or did you do exactly each step in order?

You might try dumping the image and starting over with the install guide again.

(Dror Deleon) #7

Thank you for your reply @codinghorror.

I performed the exact steps, no extras.
The sidekiq is up and running after testing MySite/sidekiq.
Is there way to track logs of it?

(Dror Deleon) #8

Is it possible that new users will not receive welcome messages because i haven’t configured DKIM and SPF records?

(Paul Apostolos) #9

Have you checked out http://yourforum.example.org/logs @sam added logster integration and it works pretty well for checking errors.

(Dror Deleon) #10

I Did @paully21, nothing related to Welcome messages, all seems normal.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

It’s possible, if the target server is rejecting them as spam. You really should configure DKIM and SPF.

Actually, wait – if you mean the welcome PM is not sent as email I have seen this too. Remember that by default we don’t send emails to users that are currently active on the site. So the only way you’d get the welcome PM as an email is if you sign up and immediately close the browser.

(Paul Apostolos) #12

But, correct me if I am wrong, even if the target server rejected them, the emails would wtill show up under the Admin->Emails->Sent tab.

(Jeff Atwood) #13

See my edited response above yours. I think this is a misunderstanding.

(Dror Deleon) #14

@codinghorror That did the trick - Didn’t knew that the PM mechanism works this way.

Thank you all for your help and time.

(Michael Brown) #15

Also see: Admin -> Email -> Sent/Skipped

For an overview of what did or did not go out and why.

New signups who never validate email deleted after 7 days
(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #16

I’d love to have a more predicable new user experience for our forum… is there a way (other than by sending a message manually) that we could configure this initial greeting to be sent all the time?

(Jeff Atwood) #17

It is sent all the time, as a PM.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #18

That’s a pretty lame answer, if they never go back to see that there might be message.

(Michael Brown) #19

Right now as I understand it:

• user signs up, does no further activity: email sent
  • user signs up, browses the site, does not read Welcome PM: email not sent
  • user signs up, browses the site, reads Welcome PM: email not sent

I could see an argument for sending the Welcome PM to the user’s email if after a few hours after signup it still hasn’t been read.

(Jeff Atwood) #20

In this case the user will have a green (1) on their notifications forever, though. So that seems… unlikely.