Welcome Topic slug not updating

(Ken) #1

Hello. Still working on my first forum with Discourse. I don’t know if I am making a mistake, but I cannot figure out why this is happening.

I have the Welcome topic which is in the Welcome Category. You can see here that this is where it is assigned and that I have altered the text.

The problem is that on the home screen (category view), although this topic displays on the right side under the Latest topics, the slug text under the category remains the default text. I don’t know why or how to change it.

Help please!

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

I’m not quite sure why that is happening, but it looks like you have renamed “uncategorized” as “Welcome”. You will likely be unhappy if you try to re-purpose the Uncategorized category for something else.

(Simon Cossar) #3

As @pfaffman said, it looks as though you have renamed the uncategorized category. You can edit that category’s description by going to Admin/Customize/Text Content and searching for ‘category.uncategorized_description’. Doing that will update the description that is shown on your categories page.

(Ken) #4

Ah, yes! That is it. I think I did do that, but I have now switched it back. Thank you.

Is there a way to make the welcome topic into a blue banner like the default ones? I searched for this but I only find a lot of stuff about images as banners.

Hey Ken,
Which default blue banner do you mean? The one saying that you need to create more content, or something different? A screenshot would be helpful.

You can create welcome banners by pinning a topic. Check out the options in the pinning menu by clicking the settings wrench to the right of the topic.

(Ken) #6

I mean the banners outlined in red here:

(Cameron:D) #7

Go into the topic and from the menu you can choose to pin the topic as a banner

Those banners are system generated for admin guidance and cannot be seen by users.

To create your own pinned banner topics follow my instructions above. They won’t look quite the same as that though.