What are really good Discourse discussions?

(Krischan) #1

I discovered Discourse in 2013 and I loved the idea on its own right from the start, but it took me till August this year to set Discourse up and try it out - using your excellent tutorials and help here. And I think its great, and I like most parts of it. But what I still don’t understand is the way discussions work best. Should people edit their posts to refine them? Then each answer must be refined too - otherwise it might make no sense to readers. Or should people just chat away, shorter answers, but more of them to have a nicer flow in the stream? A good mix of both? I am very curious to know what the people here think makes a nice flow to read. (I don’t mean discussions about topics that need to be edited to be correct, like code etc.)

Hats off to you!
Krischan

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #2

There’s no single answer for this question. You’ll just have to look around at the different communities using Discourse and see what their discussions are like. Every community has its own norms and pseudo-official conventions.

(Marco) #3

In my opinion posts shouldn’t be edited, unless there are errors the original poster wants to correct. If the poster changes her mind, then she can add another post to explain why and the new reasoning behind the mind change.

In real life, when you discuss, you express your point, listen to what others have to say, and respond or get convinced by someone else’s stronger points.

And then there’s always the heart to somehow measure the “rightness” of a post judged by the community.

(Caue Rego) #6

There are some rules. It’s quite simple. Site owner makes the main subject. Moderators build categories. People create topics. Posters should follow that thread, and be on topic, on category and on site subject.

Our language is highly subjective and a mostly terrible communication protocol, due to several reasons. Free speech is so essential not because of politics or whatever. It’s a not-so-clear message about how communication must happen, given how much it’s hard to do. You’ve got to listen. You’ve got to talk your mind out. And nobody else got to stop that flow.

And discourse is free speech made right, mostly.

The only problem is when we forget all that and moderators ban the free speech off their community. It is in their right to do so, but they don’t realize how wrong they are at doing so. It’s a fine and difficult line to trace, though, between free speech and vandalism. In here, mostly spammers. They’re not really honestly trying to say anything, they’re just trying to abuse the system.

The confusing part there is classifying what is speech (expressing oneself) from what is text, talking, arts. The later are manifestations through what speech does occur, but not only.

It’s all in the true intentions, in the hidden agenda. We all got our agendas, sometimes it isn’t hidden, most times it is even a heartfull one.

A good discussion is one that everyone is trying to talk what’s in their minds, and everyone is trying to correlate with each other. And discourse, more than any other software currently, gives us the tools to do that very well.