What do the up and down arrows represent in the admin dashboard page?

admin

(Bill Graziano) #1

My apologies if this was already addresses but I searched here and couldn’t find the answer.

I’m looking at the left column of the admin dashboard page and see a series of metrics. Posts has a number under the Yesterday column and a green up arrow. Up in respect to what? The day before? Some type of moving average? What is that number compared to?

EDIT: Updated to clarify the dashboard tab

(Michael Downey) #2

This is another example of important data (rather than hidden behind a hover tool-tip. It’s bad design and should always be avoided, but alas, if you can find an appropriate device, hovering a mouse over the icon will tell you the specific data that led to that arrow being displayed.

Someone should try their skill at using sparklines to show these numbers’ trends over time.

(Bill Graziano) #3

Interesting. That works.

I think all the math here makes sense … except for Yesterday. It looks like it compares to two days ago. For me, a much more interesting comparison would be seven days ago. My guess is that most forums have different usage patterns on different days of the week. Unless you’re super clever and discount weekends. But even then my vote would be seven days prior.

I’m also assuming the time to first response is measured in Minutes? And by the way, the arrows are backward there. A slower response is showing green.

(Michael Downey) #4

If you poke around, you should be able to find some other topics about the validity or other problems with the calculations. I think there are a few known issues.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

If either of you would like to submit pull requests to improve the behavior here, it would be most welcome.