What do you think about "Favorited categories"?

(joebew42) #1

Hi to all,

maybe someone has already discussed about this feature, but after a few search I didn’t find anything about it. So, what do you think to enable “Favorited categories” feature? Give to user the ability to star specific categories and to stay updated only on their threads.

For example, I can star a restricted number of categories and then when I come back in the homepage I will receive updates regarding only those categories.

We can add a tiny toggle button, near “Latest”. Something like “Global” and “Favorited”: So, if I click on “Global” I will receive all updates about all categories, otherwise I will receive only updates regarding “my favorites” categories. I don’t know, this is only an idea. A feature like that could be very useful in large forums with a large number of categories with an activity community.

What do you think?

Topic list tabs for user-customizeable saved filters
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Yes definitely, we want to get to a place where you can mute and favorite categories in the same way you do topics!

(John_Lee) #3

Is this on the road map?

Things are messy right now in my opinion. What if there are hundreds of categories? i would see posts from categories i dont care about. I like the idea of following categories to see updates from them only.

Categories you might like, or people you might want to follow would be nice to (suggesting stuff to users)

something like reddit, twitter (following peaople and getting twits in the feed) or facebook (liking pages and getting updates in the news feed) would be nice.

(Sander Datema) #4

Gonna start an international forum where each country could be a category. In that case it would be nice for people to be able to mute a few of the countries/categories.

(Régis Hanol) #5

@sam recently added a new section on the user’s preference page which allows you to define a list of watched/tracked/muted categories :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

With the addition of the notification control at the upper right of category views, this is complete.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Continued here: