What does "Failed to warm up pretty text: Terminated during callback" actually mean?

(Andrew Waugh) #1

I get these, on both my test machine (2GB) and on our live site (8GB). On the test machine the RAM is usually between 50 and 80%, but it isn’t swapping. I’m the only user even looking at it, and there are no mails going in or out (disabled), and no new posts being added. It seems to give this error regardless of if I am doing something like a backup or a restore or changing post ownership in the CLI, or the machine is just idling.

Ubuntu 16.04, on AWS, straightforward install per the cloud instructions, happens regardless of if I’ve got plugins loaded or not.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Out of memory most likely, @sam?

Make sure you have swap set up, 2gb at least.

(Sam Saffron) #3

This does look like a memory issue to me for sure.

(Andrew Waugh) #4

I have swap set up, 2GB. It almost never gets used (except for during a backup/restore iirc). The CPU is just ticking over.

78% of the 60 GB disk is used… this with just a single 4.1GB backup, When I deleted about 2/3 of the imported categories in an earlier test, the uploads went from about 800M to 500, but the disk space was still pretty full (58% or so).

Perhaps I need to fix a broken laptop I have with 8GB Ram and go back to Virtualbox or such.

Is it a memory issue because the chunks of data being manipulated are too large? When I watch top like a hawk it never goes into swap.

(Andrew Waugh) #5

Here is another idea…

Can I just export a couple of the categories with the discourse export_category (enough to give me a few of the posts and users with multiple names), trash the running instance, and make a new one then discourse import category?

It’s really only a learning exercise for me, before I start making changes on the live site, so I’m not too worried about the performance issues on my test box, except that they keep interfering with my tests when things bomb out.