What happens if I block the IP address of an imported user?

(Dan Dascalescu) #1

I’m cleaning up spammers from my forum after importing content from MyBB.

What happens if I choose “Delete and block this email and IP address”? What IP address will be blocked? (I’m afraid I’d block localhost or something like that, which could have odd consequences.)

Is there a way to not scare the admin away from that option, for example by displaying only “Delete and block this email” for imported users, for whom there’s no IP recorded?

When is the "site just updated" message displayed?
(Jeff Atwood) #3

My suggestion is to inform your moderators not to do that.

You could try delete and block on an imported user with ‘no’ IP address to see what happens and report that here. That would be more helpful.

(Dan Dascalescu) #4

What happens when deleting and blocking the email and IP address that is user-visible:

• no change under Screen IPs (/admin/logs/screened_ip_addresses). The localhost subnet masks stayed Allowed.
  • the imported spammer’s email was correctly added to Screened Emails
  • nothing in Blocked Users (/admin/users/list/blocked), which is somewhat surprising

Again, this is just what I can see as an admin. What changed in the database, I don’t know, but hopefully nothing surprising. Does this help?

Should I still inform moderators not to block imported spammers? Now that I’ve done it myself, I assume the banning operation is idempotent if localhost did get banned, so nothing worse should happen.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Seems fine then, the no-ip of the imported user is ignored so there is no danger here.

(Kane York) #6

IIRC that “block” is actually a post ban (can’t create new posts).

(Dan Dascalescu) #7

Thanks. My suggestion would be to slightly change the message to display only “Delete and block this email” for (imported) users without an IP recorded.