What IDE, editor and environment do you use?

(Kuba) #1

Hello world,

I would like to ask the core developers: What environment do you develop Discourse in? Are you all using the Ubuntu VM as suggested in the README and many times here? I tried that and the installation was really slow, often taking tens of seconds to load a page. Then I installed Postgre, Redis and Discourse directly on my Mac OS and everything is much faster.

Another question: What development tools do you regularly use? Which IDE? Which text editor? What tool to inspect the database? Any other daily-use software for development?

Is there a preferred IDE for Discourse dev?
(Sam Saffron) #2

Hypervisor:

Windows 8
VMWare Workstation 8
Cygwin + X

Main Dev environment:

Main VM: Ubuntu Quantal x64
Secondary VM: Freebsd also configured to run Discourse as a DTrace playground

IDE:

gVim (rails.vim , syntastic, tcomment, nerd tree and others) - runs in my linux VM, UI appears on my Windows desktop over xwin.
gnome-terminal

(Brandon Rampersad) #3

any reason you use cygwin instead of a vm?

(Sam Saffron) #4

I am using a VM, cygwin is just to run a X on windows, so I stuff like ssh -Y works

(Anthony Alberto) #5

Didn’t play with Discourse source yet, but my favourite dev env is :

• Windows 7
  • Ubuntu Server in a VM (I don’t need any UI for it)
  • samba configured to access the VM from Windows
  • RubyMine running on Windows 7, loading projects through samba (virtual drives)

(Gyokuro) #6

@anthonyalberto do you recommend any specific VM software? What do you use? How do the samba shares/deployment work in detail? Thanks ahead!

(J.A.) #7

I’m a Linux user actually, but I have a Windows installation too - mainly for computer games. Who needs VMs when you can install a superior OS for free, though? :wink: <-- I can’t believe this has no emoticon with it but :wink: does <— oh god, I just realised how early Discourse is in its development process.

If I may just weigh in, as I really like the Vim text editor, you can get GVim over here. It’s a native version for Windows and has a little GUI that comes with it. I would highly recommend it over the Cygwin version. GVim is no different from normal Vim in configuration and it is, as you can see, officially supported. You can’t run in a terminal in Windows unless you use Cygwin (or SSH), but who cares about that anyway? I personally prefer editing files locally, then pushing them to the server. If I can’t be bothered, I break out the Nano.

A word of warning though - if you’ve never used Vim before, you are wasting your time if you try to do most things with the mouse. It’s okay to select text but generally you’re doing it wrong if you try to do everything with the mouse.

I hope you have fun with Vim, the productive text editor!

(Aidan Ryan) #8

What is Ubuntu Squeeze?

(Aaron Levin) #9

vim + ctags + ack-grep, vim, ubuntu 12.10

(Offer Kaye) #10

It’s a version of Ubuntu based on Debian Squeeze which is the latest stable branch of Debian. You can find the release announcement here:
http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110205a

(Sam Saffron) #11

Sorry, I meant Quantal, was a bit late when I was typing that, its been so many upgrades on ubuntu its hard to keep track of what I am on.

(Andrew) #12

Mac OS X with Xcode, Eclipse, and TextMate 2. The editor/IDE depends on the language I’m coding in where Xcode is usually C/C++, Eclipse is usually Java, and TextMate is everything else including Lua, Javascript, HTML, Ruby, and CSS.

Also, for some reason I prefer to edit Makefiles in TextMate vs. Xcode.

(Anthony Alberto) #13

Well I’ve used VMWare workstation so far, was super easy to setup but I guess VirtualBox will do the same for free :slight_smile:

For Samba, you just install the samba server packages and then configure it to login as guest. And the guest login should be root so you don’t end up in a permission problems hell.

Now, of course limit samba to only allow connections from your host IP otherwise it can be dangerous.

Then in Windows, mount your samba share as a virtual drive. And then access it transparently within Windows/IDE/text editors … anything really.

If you’re lost I can share my samba conf.
Good luck!

(SituationSoap) #14

Jetbrains IDEA with Ruby on Rails plugin on OS X.

(Robin Ward) #15

I do all my developing in OSX. Actually I love buying hardware and PC gaming so my main system is actually a Hackintosh that I built myself. It’s probably faster than any mac you can buy.

Although I created the Vagrant install with @Neil’s help I do my development for discourse right on my local machine. I’ll probably release instructions on how I have that set up at some point for people on OSX. It works well for me because Discourse is my main project - Vagrant is a better approach for those who don’t hack on it as much :slight_smile:

(Nicholas Perry) #16

I’m rather agnostic, but I do enjoy more minimalism experiences like notepad++ or gedit and running compilers on commandline or writing my own make files.

I was rocking out emacs for a while, and I’ve been meaning to learn vim since I’m not as intimidated about the esoteric keyboard commands since learning how to dwarf-fortress.

Day to day, I tend to run various plugins within eclipse since it integrates well with various development environments and repositories. I like the idea of having all my coding environments rolled into one small package. Eclipse is really fast if you run the workspace out of a ram drive.

(Nicholas Perry) #17

Could you go into more detail on what packages you are using? It sounds like you could accomplish much of that by using putty and a windows port of x? It sound interesting.

How well does that integrate with windows?

(Jeff Atwood) #18

Nobody has mentioned RubyMine yet? Too bad, it’s great and inexpensive! Version 5.0 just came out too.

I’m a wuss. Dear Intellisense, You Complete Me.

(Nicholas Perry) #19

Have you played around with Komodo? I used a professional copy during my time at Vermont Tech and have been saving up to get ahold of it. The way that it can do realtime code-completion of dynamic languages is really something amazing. Their debugging is also fantastic imho. The language list is impressive.

I’ve been trying to find similar systems that integrate with eclipse, but they are hard to come by.

(Willie Roberts) #20

I was actually able to get RubyMine, PHPStorm, IntelliJ IDEA, Resharper and AppCode personal licenses for $ 140 during there Mayan end of the world sale in December and have to agree it’s great. I haven’t used RubyMine or IntelliJ fully yet but Reshaper and AppCode is used everyday and well worth the money.