What IDE, editor and environment do you use?

(Factor Mystic) #21

I tried RubyMine but it was frankly just too clunky feeling.

I’m curious if anyone has tried the Ruby In Steel plugin for Visual Studio. I like it in that I can continue to use Visual Studio, but I’m disappointed the debugging features I’ve become accustomed to in C# aren’t available (Ruby replacement for DebuggerDisplay, and being able to move the current instruction pointer around when execution is paused, most notably).

(Amen Ra) #22

macOS + sublime text 2 with plugins

(Sebastienstettler) #23

i also find with web development i enjoy using notepad++ and chrome debugger works great.

(Nicholas Perry) #24

Yeah, straight up web-dev stuff I tend to load up notepad++ also (or gedit in linux). And chrome debugger is a godsend.

Sometimes the more complicated code can get unwieldy if you have to jump around files. Eclipse has features to help make it easier navigate the larger code-bases we work on as a group since it understand the project a bit more cohesively so you can jump to code definitions and variable declarations with a keypress.

Code completion can get a bit difficult with notepad++ if you need to work with data from other files and code you didn’t write, and altogether impossible for dynamically generated things.

Komodo was great because it kept a ‘sense’ of what the code was doing so that it could give relevant code completion even on more complicated dynamic classes.

I’d love to hear tips on how to make more effective use of np++.

(Truong Hoang Dung) #25

Thank you for sharing. Could you please put the detail configuration into a gist so that new users can follow the steps ?

(Adolfo Benedetti) #26

osx
Emacs
IntelliJ
zsh

(Nico Ritschel) #27

As an editor, vim is very nice. I agree with @codinghorror , RubyMine is a fantastic tool, especially when delving through a lot of source (I’m looking at you discourse!)

(Willie Roberts) #28

RubyMine with the VIM extensions. Actually any JetBrains product is worth it just for that.

(Nico Ritschel) #29

Sometimes RubyMine just feels slow, so I prefer vim unless I’m very unfamiliar with what I’m working on, or just need the lowered complexity of accessing things through a GUI . I don’t think it’s my machine either (MBP Retina, 2.7 i7, 16GB ram, SSD)

(Nicholas Perry) #30

I’ve been rocking out hyper-v the latest one can run for free - it even comes as an optional install straight out of windows 8 (along with the management console bits). Its leaps and bounds ahead of many offerings - even letting you migrate between servers without needing to set up a cluster. You can also run it as a standalone box with a remote interface or as part of a server 2012 distro. Its a proper hypervisor system so it has very low overhead and can run linux distros. The only real limitation i’ve ran into is that it won’t let me unload a thumbdrive if it has a hyper-v storage on it.

I’m a fan of xen and KVM/QEMU otherwise, they’ve been a big help.

Virtualbox is pretty awesome for getting up and running quickly and its a bit easier to transfer the VM.

(Sebastienstettler) #31

im not sure how to get more effective with notepad++ but what i use a hek of alot is ctrl-f to jump between methods. it does take allot of remembering though because you need to know your entire code-base.

i have been using visual studio at the moment, and when it comes to my html js and css i feel that it makes me less productive, because it doesnt have one feature if i double click on a word, i would like to see usages of the word highlighted. have only used eclipse for java se and ee no html css or js really, should give it a try

(nono68200) #32

Only one operating system for me.
Ubuntu 12.10, and soon 13.04.
I use for C/C++, the IDE Code::Blocks. For QML and Qt, Qt Creator. For websites, Gedit or Notepad++, depends of the day.

And I think no more to say.

(Kevin Ansfield) #33

OSX Mountain Lion, Sublime Text 2 with a ton of plugins/customisations, RVM to manage rubies+gemsets, Homebrew for postgres/redis/etc, SourceTree (git gui). I used to use TextMate but ST2 is miles ahead in performance, features and looks. It definitely bumps up my productivity a lot.

For running Rails apps locally I use the OSX supplied apache with pow, everything is pretty seamless. For apps that require a bit more than apache/postgres I use foreman to spin up the required services.

For deployment I use Capistrano for everything that’s not on Heroku, Puppet for managing servers and Vagrant for firing up a more realistic test/development environment when needed. Typical deployment environment right now is Apache/NGinx with Passenger but I’ll probably migrate to Unicorn soon.

Aside from the above I will occasionally use CodeKit when working with static sites provided by our designers. For IE testing ievms is awesome, I have a separate VM for each IE version.

All-in-all I find the combination to be fast, easy and completely hassle-free.

(Kris) #34

As a designer/front-end developer I was hooked on Coda for OSX pretty early on, but now that I’m probably going to be switching over to Windows 8 at some point this week I’ve prepared myself by switching to Sublime Text 2 a while back (with a few plugins for FTP and SASS). Kind of wish I did earlier, I like it.

(roomey) #35

What plugins do you use with vim?

(sirtimbly) #36

Wow. How’s that for a switch? I am a front end dev working in a Microsoft shop using a MBP with Paralells. So I have every option and am not entirely happy with any of them. Can you explain what you’re switch is being motivated by?

(Kris) #37

I’m not entirely happy where Apple has been going with the OS, so I figured I’d give Windows 8 a shot. I’m keen on their design.

Also, Lenovo had a pretty decent deal going on last week, and a similarly spec’d Macbook would have been twice the price. At the moment I’m on a late 2008 Macbook Pro, which is starting to show its age when I need to access any large files or do any video editing.

Ultimately I may end up hating Windows 8 and just go the Hackintosh route, which is more maintenance than a Macbook would be - but I can deal with it.

Overall I’d prefer to be running a Linux distro, but I’m tied up with Adobe so much that I just can’t until they have official support. I’m hoping Valve’s push to gaming on Linux is going to broaden that horizon for everyone.

(Sam Saffron) #38

I think this is mostly up to date:

(Sam Saffron) #40

Years later, but worth mentioning:

Foreman support has just been removed per:

(Stephen) #41

TIL @Sam develops Discourse on Windows.

Edit: yeowch, quoting Github oneboxes looks ugly.