What IDE is everyone using?

(cpradio) #1

Okay, so I’m an IDE junkie (yeah yeah, I blame the Microsoft frameworks). So what IDE does everyone use for their development?

Considering I’m completely new to ember.js and ruby, having a good IDE that will help me minimize my mistakes, is ideal.

My system setup:
Main PC: Debian Linux Wheezy
Laptop: Windows 7

Ideally, the IDE should run on both, but 99% of my development will be on my main PC, so if it only supports Linux, that’s cool too.

Currently, I’ve been using phpStorm, but obviously that is built for PHP development. I love the IDE, but spending extra to get get Ruby and PHP support might be a show stopper (I need to price that out).

Javascript IDE or dev environment
(Jeff Atwood) #2

I use RubyMine and like it

(Nathan Rijksen) #3

I use Komodo IDE but I am terribly biased, being one if its devs :wink:

I run Arch Linux as my daily driver and Komodo runs wonderfully on it, but it runs on OSX and Windows as well. It is based on Mozilla (like Firefox) and it does NOT use Java (people tend to associate cross-platform with Java).

(Sam Saffron) #4

I use Vim, my dev env is latest ubuntu running i3wm , my desktop is actually Windows 8 but I am constantly running a full screen VM.

My Vim setup is more or less here:

(Arpit Jalan) #5

I use Atom on MacBook Pro, and it’s awesome!

(Manthan Mallikarjun) #6

Sublime text anyone?

(Silver Quettier) #7

It really depends:

• How much “extra fluff” you want (templates, code completion, integration with various techs and langauges, internal webserver…) versus a more KISS text editor.
  • What languages you’re using.

Personally, as a Java developper who also do some web (HTML / JS / CSS) and PHP on the side (and try to learn Ruby to do some Discoursing), I enjoy NetBeans. It’s, I admit, a bit bloated, and much heavier than a lot of the others mentioned here. Still, it’s nowhere like a monster such as Eclipse. And I enjoy the way shortcuts and auto-completion allow me to work fast, even in verbose languages like Java.

(@SenpaiMass) #8

I use Sublime text and i like it

(James Bjorkman) #9

I use vim.

Work laptop is OSX. Home laptop is Fedora.
Both have caps lock bound to ctrl.
vim lets me have a similar development experience on what ever operating system I choose if its configured the same way.

(Régis Hanol) #10

@neil and I both use Sublime Text and @eviltrout recently migrated to vim.

(AstonJ) #11

I use Vim too, with the CodeSchool theme: Vim for Ruby on Rails (and a sexy theme!) (via @AstonJ)

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #12

Brief derail: Any of you Vim users care to comment on why you’re not using Neovim? It’s new and shiny, and familiar! Where’s the love!

I use Sublime Text, but mostly for code browsing, and maybe more so that when programmer-savvy friends/coworkers use my computer they don’t rage at me for not having a decent IDE installed.

(cpradio) #13

Code Completion would be helpful as I stumble my way around the language. I think I spent way more time searching for appropriate methods on an object yesterday for my initial PR than what I’d like. I got to learn quite a bit from it, but if the editor can tell me that and what the method does, what parameters it takes, it frees me up to focus on the code at hand than countless searches.

I prefer to have source control integration too. I’m not against using things like vim, so long as they keep me focused on the console window and now splitting my focus between searches and the console window :smile:

(AstonJ) #14

Hadn’t heard of it till now :stuck_out_tongue: Will go check it out…

(Ben T) #15

I rotate between Java code (teaching it), Javascript code and Ruby code enough that I’ve stuck with Sublime Text. Since I do code demos, I needed a text editor that won’t scare off people new to coding while still having features I can use for personal projects.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #16

Sublime text and on occasion macvim.

The real question is what keyboard and mouse are you using? :slight_smile:

(Régis Hanol) #17

I think the members of the core team are all using @codinghorror’s CODE Mechanical Keyboard - MX Clear. I might be the only one using the 87-Key version though.

(Nathan Rijksen) #18

I love small keyboards, you can code without having to move your arms over the whole numpad section to get to your mouse.

I’d like to find out what the big deal is about mechanical keyboards some day, but dont feel like spending $100+ just for the experiment.

(Jens Maier) #19

A Cherry MX-Board 3.0 (with brown switches) and a Logitech G700s.

I’ve only recently converted from traditional rubber dome keyboards (I had a Logitech Wave previously) to a mechanical one and maaaaan have I been missing out all these years. :flushed:

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #20

There just really loud and the cubicles around you won’t be happy.