What is "Enable read-only mode" in Backups?

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #1

I would like to know what does this button actually does and how it effects the backups and users online. Is it important to enable the read-only mode while creating a backup? I am a little confuse on what actually it does. Kindly be descriptive.

(Mittineague) #2

Read Only means that no database interactions (i.e. saving new posts) will occur while you’re busy doing the backup.

True, a minor inconvenience for those just itching to post now, but it isn’t unusual and a lot better than a “site down for routine maintenance” screen

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #3

Thank you @Mittineague that was helpful. I just want to know that can we backup the files without enabling read-only? I mean what difference would it make “if I enable and backup” or “if I don’t enable it and backup files”.

What is recommended? Shall I enable it to be on safe side?

One additional question: Does the backup file include all images, files uploaded and topics published? I mean everything A-Z?

(RĂ©gis Hanol) #4

In order to prevent inconsistent backups, the backup process will automatically put the site in read-only mode when it’s making a dump of the database. So there is no need to click the Read Only button if you only want to make a backup :wink:

Yes. A Backup includes a dump of the database (all the users information, topics and posts) as well as the uploads directory which contains everything that was uploaded (images, avatars, attachments, etc…).

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #5

You saved my day! Thanks a lot @zogstrip That was the info I needed. Sighs!