What is the difference between "Latest" and "New"?

(Lena) #1

Hi everyone,

The title says it all - what’s the difference between “Latest” and “New”?
Thanks for clarifying.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Add the word “topic” and you will have your answer :slight_smile: or hover your mouse over them to read tooltip.

(emily) #3

I am new here and I have the same question, I did hover my mouse over them but the tooltip didn’t show on.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Not sure why, it is there

(emily) #5

Can you put the cursor on the Latest, please

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Is your web browser not working, not showing hover text? Perhaps your computer or browser is broken?

Note that hover text won’t show on mobile because mobile has no concept of “hovering” a mouse pointer, because there is no mouse.

(emily) #7

No, I am using computer, that what appear when I hover,

(emily) #8

However, I still don’t know the difference between (Topics created in the last few days) and (Topics with recent posts).

(Jeff Atwood) #9

A topic created in the last few days is a topic that was created in the last few days.

Topics with recent posts, may have been created 5, 10, 100, 1000+ days ago.

@tgxworld this is a good point, can you add the proper tooltip help text to the New, Unread, Latest, etc on the drop-down menu? Right now it is blindly duplicating the existing text on the menu which is pointless, plus it is not leveraging the custom copy we already have set up… I assume this is a super trivial change and easy to do and won’t meaningfully interrupt your current work.

(emily) #10

Well, but if there is new post in a question that was asked before few days, it will pop up in New and Latest.
Beside I can’t see my question on the New list, and I have asked it before few minutes.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

No. It will be either new, or latest unread, never both.

If you have visited a topic already, it is no longer new to you. New topics are those you have not previously visited that were created in the last 2 days. Maybe that’s the piece of the puzzle you were missing?

(emily) #12

It can be both because if there is question that was asked in last 2 days with new post and I didn’t visit this question yet, it will appear in the New, since I didn’t visit it yet and it will appear in the latest since there is new reply.

(Kane York) #13

All topics with new posts show up on latest, whether they’re new to you or not.

(Jeff Atwood) #14

Oh my bad thanks for the correction Kane. Yes I meant, new or unread, never both. Apologies.

Latest is indeed a mixture of all topics that have recent posts. New topics will have the new indicator next to them.

(Alan Tan) #16

Done in