What is the ideal size of Logo file?

(Akshar Prabhudesai) #1

Can someone tell me what should me the ideal size of Logo image ?

(Kris) #2

It can be any size you want if you add some custom CSS to .logo-big and .logo-small, but for reference, the default full-size logo is 122x33 px, and the small version you see when scrolling is 33x33 px

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #3

Hey again,

Still hoping for this to be in the admin UI… hard to [know to] find this on meta.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

What is here is incorrect… It can be any size and is scaled via css.

I did some logo size tests. It seems I should not use big logos
(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #5

That it can be customized is fantastic!

However, those who don’t know what’s up are far less likely to just guess, so I feel putting some guideline in the admin would build confidence and save time.

I wanted my images to look good on retina, I put in a 244x66 logo & 66x66 icon, and it they look fine.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #6

I just realized, I never pointed out that my curiosity extends to all the images:

logo url
logo small url
digest logo url
mobile logo url
favicon url (which suggests that we look at a wikipedia article… not “use ico for greatest compatibility”)
apple touch icon url (which already suggests 144x144)

(Tobias Eigen) #7

I’d love to see this documented somewhere handy, in the ui or admin startup guide. Still feeling very confused about logo sizes.

(Marcus Baw) #8

Could the information about the ‘ideal’ logo size be in the Settings page, in the information under each logo’s URL text box? This would seem to be the ideal place for the information to be, also it could be noted there that custom CSS can be added to change the size of the logo (and show the correct CSS id or class to use)

M

(Jeff Atwood) #9

We already did – we specify square for the small logo and wide rectangle for the larger logo. Actual pixel dimensions are irrelevant, as the browser (with the sad, forlorn exception of IE11 and Edge) will resize the image as needed.

You also want a larger image for retina-class devices with high DPI, so an actual pixel size would be incorrect…