What is the most awesome plugin for Discourse, that does not yet exist?

badge

(Andrew Brown) #21

Circles of trust or something similar. I frequent a forum where you can post to the general forum, or to a subset of trusted friends. That’s where the real action is, and once you get in the right circles, the discussion is even better. All of this is invisible to anonymous visitors though. While this isn’t great for the open internet, it is actually really good for the community.

By the way, what support is there for writing plugins currently? I’d love to get started experimenting with writing some.

(Jon Nermut) #23

Facebook Pages two way integration - so that new topics & replies from Discourse appear on the Facebook page, and vice versa
The use case for this is that every organisation has to have a facebook page/group these days and huge amounts of discussion occurs there, but not everybody is on facebook so that you also have to have non facebook forum, which Discourse now looks the best option for.
Automagically combine the two with seamless integration and you have the perfect solution

(Caesar Wong) #24

IFTTT integration for notifications.

One of my pet peeves with forum software is that the only notification option is e-mail.

Put in a vote for Discourse in Zapier apps
Can't quote reply to post
(M@ Dunlap) #25

I’d love to see something like the notion of ‘Bots’ from Google Wave. Software agents that could be added to individual conversations to do simple things.

For example, if I posted some LaTeX with some “please edit this” flag the bot might automatically render the LaTeX to HTML (or MathML) and edit my post with the results.

(M@ Dunlap) #26

Per-user translate option that would just feed the text through Google Translate before putting it on my screen (possibly alongside the original).

… not that I speak any other languages, but it’d still be a hugely important plugin.

(AstonJ) #27

Groups (with their own admins/threads etc). These are particularly important for larger communities imo.

Friends/following lists - so people can easily find content from their friends.

(Sven) #28

A tapatalk API plugin. Would give instant access to tapatalk mobile clients.

(Sven Dowideit) #29

I concur - trust metrics.

Both the private trusts to help you filter what you read and public trust metrics to help new people identify who is credible.

(Daniel Hölbling) #30

I would love to see real syntax highlighting for code.

(Chris Leong) #31

Question and answer integration - unfortunately StackExchange isn’t available as a installable product anymore, and even if it was, it runs on a completely different stack

Two-layered conversations (shadow topic)
(Matija Grcic) #32

The first thing that came to my mind when i started using Discourse.

(Matija Grcic) #33

Nice idea. Instead of sticky topics that really “represent” a blog post about something in general.

(Jason Rossitto) #34

This could be generalized to other domains. Cooking, homebrew, knitting. Users might have recipes, patterns, code, etc, associated with their profile. Other users could generate threads in response to these items, or even post new recipes related to existing ones. This could create a traceable lineage for a particular recipe. E.g. my potato salad recipe is based on his, which was based on hers. Or four other people have posted versions of the Russian imperial stout recipe I posted.

This goes beyond “likes” and “dislikes” to capturing and recording the flow of ideas behind all those paragraphs we write to one another.

(jcolebrand) #36

nested “rotating” comments. So that you see replies as nested, but after you descend to the second level the “grandparent” of the chased comment “disappears” so that the rabbit hole doesn’t feel like too much of a rabbit hole.

Sort of like how “context” on Reddit eclipses the ancestor comments on a thread.

(Tomáš Znamenáček) #38

Doesn’t Trello already do this very well? What would be the advantage in using Discourse for bug tracking?

Some avatars not loading after new subsystem deploy
(jcolebrand) #39

one platform to rule them all of course.

(Drew Dara-Abrams) #40

I agree. Trello, Pivotal Tracker, Jira, et al. are all nice and complete solutions for bug tracking. Github’s issues do the job too. But it’s hard to get inexperienced users to report bugs or file other support requests through those interfaces.

Discourse would make for a great support forum if it were possible to link threads up with issues/bugs that are off in one of those other project management tools.

(jcolebrand) #41

This sounds like an ENTIRELY different concept from what was first proposed.

(Drew Dara-Abrams) #42

Yes, I’m talking about a different set of functionality than @sam was originally:

What is the most awesome plugin for Discourse, that does not yet exist?

But the goal of handling bug/ticket tracking is somewhat similar.

(Pekka Gaiser) #43

A PHP PORT OF THE ENTIRE THING!