What should I do for spam protection?

(r3d_f0x) #1

I found a post where an admin had a hundred spam posts on their site. The default settings are supposed to prevent spam. If it’s possible without a headache and it won’t be redundant I would like to include the Recaptcha V2 on my site for user registration, but not if there’s already a feature that protects against spam registration. I want to have some protection against trolls that might use automated scripts who would specifically target my site. I don’t have any visitors yet so this is just theoretical.

(Sam Saffron) #2

What post are you talking about? We take spam very seriously and default settings go a long way to handling most spam vectors.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #3

The user in question changed the settings and they where a lot more permissive than the defaults. He later rolled back changes and said all the spam is getting caught.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Just make sure you set up the Akismet plugin and purchase an Akismet key. Discourse defaults are very safe. In the topic you are referring to the admin changed a bunch of defaults to unsafe values.

(r3d_f0x) #5

Thanks. If the defaults are very secure then I won’t worry about it.