Whatever happened to favicon notifications?

I haven’t seen favicon notifications on any of the Discourse forums that I visit for ages. I also can’t find a post here discussing their removal. Can anyone shed any light?

(Mittineague) #2

I’ve noticed that as well. I used to use them often.

I know they were “experimental” according to the Preferences copy.

It may be that the newer browser notifications have made that feature moot?

Not that I see every post here, but I do see plenty. I too have not seen any mention of removing the feature.

(Sam Saffron) #3

We never intended to break this, sounds like a bug … will have a look

(Mittineague) #4

That would be nice. In spite of how much time I spend in front of the monitor, I do leave my seat once in a while. Browser notifications being transient I do miss seeing some of them.

True, the Notification “bubble” is there, but, no offense intended, I do spend time in other tabs.
Having the favicon in the tab would save me from needing to check the page.

No big deal, and if it is a lot of work involved I can live without it, just the same, if it isn’t too troublesome please do.

I’m currently writing a workshop around the psychology of notifications.
Favicon notifications can create a dopamine loop in the same way that phone badge notifications can.
They go a long way to hooking people, which is what all community managers are ultimately aiming for. :wink:

(Gerhard Schlager) #6

Last time I checked the favicon notifications work fine, unless you are using Amazon S3 (or possibly any other CDN). It’s a configuration issue…

(Sams Sock) #7

WAT … IT is fixed at last!?

(Sam Saffron) #8

Yes my dear sock puppet, it is:

Was a rather involved fix but should help EVERYWHERE.

In the past we relied on complex CORS settings if you, for whatever reason, hosted your favicon off site.

We proxy and cache it now to bypass all the CORS pain, which was needed because we can not be tainting our canvas.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/2c59ad3dd3af0e64441ec90af32e8bb730f028fd

CORS issue on meta
(Sam Saffron) #9