When is something backported to Stable?

(Michael - DiscourseHosting.com) #1

When 1.0 came out and the channels were introduced I was really happy to read that bugfixes would be backported to stable.

However, it seems like this is only incidentally done - at least much less than I hoped for. There are quite a few bugs that have been fixed since 1.0 but that have not been solved in the 1.0.x releases.

I was wondering how you decide whether a fix is backported to stable or not?

(Sam Saffron) #2

If its a security flaw it always gets backported.

Minor bug fixes do not get backported.

Severe major bug fixes get backported.

Stuff between Severe and Minor it in our discretion. All our customers are on beta or tests passed.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

It needs to be “breaks the product” severe to be backported, the bug must either totally block normal usage or cause serious problems.

(Michael - DiscourseHosting.com) #4

I guess the issue is when a bug is “severe” enough. We have seen several pretty annoying bugs that haunt us for five or six weeks now, and which are fixed in beta but not in stable.

So I’m a bit puzzled, it seems like there is no good reason to follow stable right now. It seems a bit odd that your customers are on beta all the time?

BTW Please don’t take this as criticism, I’m just trying to understand a bit better how you’re making decisions about these kind of things.