When is trust level 3 and 4 going to be added?

(Kimmoth) #1

So I guess the higher trust levels are on the back burner then?

What do user trust levels do?
(Sam Saffron) #2

Its on our roadmap, we need a forum to be active for quite a while to even start introducing this.

I would imagine some time in the next 2-6 months we will have this implemented.

(Kimmoth) #3

Cool.

I’ll be really interested to see how it pans out at the BB BBS, particularly if the decision is taken to be more liberal with it.

I guess to find the sweet spot you’d have to try a lot of small changes, and go past it then come back.

And that sweet spot would depend on the context and demographic of the community too, I bet. And it’d likely shift over time…

(Jeff Atwood) #4

It’s not as useful for BB since one of the key trust level 3 abilities is renaming topics and recategorizing topics. Since those are all set by BB editors in the Boing Boing category and locked down, you’d only be able to do that for community topics.

Of course that’s not the only TL 3 ability, but it is one of the more significant ones.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Now that BB has categories finally this makes more sense. We will try to get to TL3 next week.

(Neil Lalonde) #6

Some of the trust level 3 abilities have been committed this week. Right now, the only way to get to 3 is for an admin to grant it to you, but automatic promotion is coming soon. Here are the ones that are done:

• have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow)
  • invited users start at trust level 1 instead of 0
  • Recategorize and rename topics

There’s one more to do:

• access a private “frequent flier’s lounge” category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher

A question: what should we name this category? Some ideas:

• Frequent Flier Lounge (too long)
  • Lounge
  • VIP
  • Leaders

It can be changed, but we need a default.

What are the leader elections?
(Bill Ayakatubby) #7

Do you guys have specific goals or subjects in mind for the topics in this lounge? That may help inform the naming decision.

(Neil Lalonde) #8

I imagine there will be a lot of high fives and “woohoo! we’re so awesome!” Also, it should have discussions about the community, so it will be like another meta category. But it’s up to the elite members what to do with it.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Mostly it is a perk for “frequent fliers” exactly like the ones at airports – these people travel on airplanes a lot so it is a quiet place for them to collect their thoughts, kibitz with other heavy travelers, and generally get out of the flow of the busy busy airport.

Lounges are a typical perk for frequent fliers:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/default.aspx

When you get to level 3, you gain access to the frequent flier’s lounge, just like a person who takes lots of flights gets these premier airline memberships based on mileage.

And here’s one frequent flier explaining the benefit of the lounge which “eases the stress of travel”:

I’m a very frequent flier, and a big fan of airlines lounges. These days I use one pretty much every time I go to the airport, even if it’s only for half an hour. I’d rather read the USA Today and other complimentary papers and magazines in a nice cushy chair than at the crowded gate, and I’d rather check my email on higher speed WiFi then the airport offers – without having to watch commercials or jump through hoops to connect. I’d rather play with the high tech (and free) coffee machine than stand in a long line to pay top dollar for the burnt tasting stuff at Starbucks.

So the theme of the category would be the same – a place to relax and avoid the stress of the rest of the busy forum / airport, plus access to similarly experienced travellers. Maybe “Back Room”? Ideas welcome.

Updating software resets Lounge security?
(Dave McClure) #10

How about “The Lounge”

(Jacob) #11

I hope this lounge is optional.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

Why do you say that?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #13

Given that explanation, I think “Lounge,” “Frequent Fliers,” and “Clubhouse” would be good as defaults. “Back Room” has some connotations that maybe you don’t want to imply? Or maybe you do, if it’s all in good fun. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

(Jacob) #14

Because it doesn’t fit for every forum. I have a smaller site and we’re pretty tight knit, it just wouldn’t be used and we’d have an empty forum that’s just there.

In my experience, the frequent fliers and donaters only forums are dead zones.

This is about all I’ve seen them used for.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

Certainly possible. As @neil pointed out there might be overlap with meta as well, TL3 folks can rename and recategorize but that discussion about that is probably best in the public meta category.

(Rikki Tooley) #16

I have a smaller site too, and have had a “frequent fliers lounge” (we called it “old timers”) set up as a special category for users of trust level 2. Our use for it is to post personal stuff that we don’t want immediately googleable, like phone numbers, arranging meetups, etc.

(probus) #17

I’m with illspirit on this one, I hope this will be optional.

I just don’t get the analogy between airports and forums. Airports and forums have pretty much nothing in common in my mind.

I hope our forum isn’t stressing. What exactly makes a forum stressing? How does this help solve that? Why not just close your laptop lid and take walk in the park?

(Neil Lalonde) #18

Ok, I’ll go with “Lounge” as the default name. As always, the category name can be changed.

I’ll make it optional (kinda…). When you upgrade or install a new Discourse site, the category will be created. After upgrade/install, you’ll have to delete the category.

(Jeff Atwood) #19

This is kind of a silly argument to make. Rather than going to the airport, why not just stay home and save yourself all the stress of air travel? Rather than getting computer viruses and phishing attacks, why not stop using computers?

(probus) #20

Well I must be missing something then. I’ve been to a few airports and airport ft lounges and as I wrote, I don’t find much in common with them and online forums.

You don’t see many people in frequent flier lounges (or airports for that matter) who want to spend time there. They are all there because they have to. And frequent fliers have their own private rooms because they have to a lot. You don’t go there to socialize with other people. You go there to wait.

How many people in that frequent flier lounge who spend a 100+ days annually in airports wouldn’t want to do that? 99%? With forums you can, just close the tab. No need to stop using computers. Why would the stressed out forumist want to stay in the lounge when he has a choice?

Can we just stop with the (bad) analogy and start talking in real terms? You didn’t answer my questions. What makes a forum stressing (what is the problem)? How does this de-stress people (how does this help solve that problem)? Would people actually use this (is it the best solution)?