Where does/will the FAQ get linked

(Jack James) #1

I’ve been running discourse for nearly a month now (and visiting meta regularly), but I had no idea there was a built-in FAQ until reading the blog post today, and lo and behold it’s there, even on my own discourse, even though there are no apparent links to it from anywhere.

Where is it / should it be linked from?

(Tim Stone) #2

You mean this one?

Yeah, the discoverability is fairly terrible. Usually this is something that’d go in a footer, but that wouldn’t work well with the infinite scrolling. Perhaps a more direct “?”-type menu button for low-trust users might work? Not sure if there’s sufficient space to spare for that or not.

(Jack James) #3

Oh wow. I guess I have a blind spot for items in that menu, this is the second time that I’ve missed something that was there all along!

(Robin Ward) #4

It’s also linked in the new user tutorial thing that pops up on your first post. I believe it might also be linked from the welcome email too.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Well that new user education panel pops up on your first two replies, and your first two topics, to be clear!

And the faq is linked from the welcome pm, which is also an email, as noted.

I’d like to be able to add a link to the FAQs to the end of this navigation

I think that really obvious visibility is important. Any chance? @sam ?

(Sam Saffron) #7

I think it can possibly be done now in a plugin, though the format should support it. I will have a look, try to add a howto.

Did you have any luck with this one @sam?

(Sam Saffron) #9

This is not a trivial change,

There is an extension point called extraNavItem that would kind of work from a plugin, however, it would not highlight right which is a problem.

I would need to redesign the NavItem system to support arbitrary internal links so it works properly but am afraid its probably half a day to a day’s work.

Ugh. Ok, let me think on it.

Seems a little surprising to me that no one else has concerns about the fact that the FAQs are so hard to find.

(Sam Saffron) #11

I have been brewing up a hack in my mind, will see what I can do.