Where is the discourse software developer site?

(Mr. Flibble) #1

Is there a discourse site out there for software developers?

(cpradio) #2

Can you explain a bit more as to what you are looking for? Are you looking for help in interacting with the Discourse API? If so, this is where you want to be.

(Sam Saffron) #3

It is meta … welcome :blush:

Use the dev category to discuss dev stuff.

(Mr. Flibble) #4

I gather this site is for discussing Discourse itself. I’m wondering if there is a site, running the Discourse software, where software developers chat. A place to talk about all those things that don’t fit on StackOverflow.

(cpradio) #5

Still here… (I think). Especially if you want something that niche. If you want some more generalized, ie, any project that utilizes ruby/ember/whatever, then try out Sitepoint Forums (or the hundreds of other software/programming related forums)

Maybe we could use a “User talk” or “Discourse-using-people Talk” category or thread.

(Luke S) #7

If what you are looking for is essentially a general purpose, programming discussion site that happens to run discourse, I don’t know that it exists. Feel free to start one!

(Mr. Flibble) #8

Oh, wow. Yes, that’s what I was looking for. I would have thought that would be the first popular Discourse site created! Humm…not sure I’ll be creating one anytime soon myself. It’s no small job starting an online community.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #9

It sure isn’t, and the time is most definitely not right for it.

Once again, the place for developer discussion is the dev category, and it really is exactly what you’re asking for.

(Mr. Flibble) #10

The dev category appears to solely have Discourse related discussion. Are you sure it’s intended for general software dev chat including anything and everything not related to Discourse?

(Dave McClure) #11

No its not. @erlend_sh misunderstood, I believe.

There are a few forums out there for more general discussion of developer related topics.

Sitepoint kind of fits the bill. You might also find Code Newbie interesting.

But it really sounds like you’re hoping for StackOverflow or Programmers.StackExchange tself to adopt Discourse as an adjunct discussion space…

(Blake Erickson) #12

Upcase also has a developer forum that uses discourse.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #13

Oh, herpderp, I failed to read @Sailsman63’s reply properly. My bad.

(Sam Saffron) #14

I misunderstood this, there are many of niche that cover a particular area of programming (rust, multiple ruby sites, etc) and sitepoint that is quite broad.

What particular area of development are you looking for?

(Mr. Flibble) #15

@mcwumbly nailed it - I was looking for the forum/Discourse version of StackOverflow. There’s no particular area that I’m interested in right this minute. I just wanted to have a go-to place to talk about stiff that doesn’t fit in the (frustratingly rigid) SO Q&A format.