Where's the upgrade button on the dashboard?

OK - my brand new installation tells me that I should upgrade (see first screen shot)

According to the documentation, upgrading is as easy as clicking the Update button on the dashboard. Only problem is, I can’t see any such button on my dashboard. What am I missing?

Thanks

Looks like you did use a bitnami install. That doesn’t have the one click update feature and we don’t support those here.

I recommend backing it up and reinstalling using the official installer discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

6 Likes

Aha — yes I did — seemed easier than doing everything manually but I don’t mind trying it this way. I don’t have anything to backup, still trying to figure out if Discourse will work for me (looks like it will as long as I continue to do a hack to change the port of the URL for invites)

So the instructions on that page do not quite work.

1. The wget command that supposedly installs both docker and git doesn’t!

So I installed git directly.

1. After running discourse-setup and filling the info, I got the message “rebuilding in 5 seconds” and then soon after,

which: no docker.io in (/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin)
    Device “docker0” does not exist.
    Cannot connect to the docker daemon - verify it is running and you have access

So now I have no idea whether that wget mechanism installed docker and having never needed docker before, I’ll have to educate myself. By the way, why can’t discourse be installed directly on a machine or VM? Why is docker necessary for discourse?

I’ll spend some time and figure it out but it’s a little frustrating when the directions are wrong and/or incomplete.

The instructions left out (or the sh that ran after the download of docker (and git?) didn’t run ) the command

systemctl start docker

Are you using latest Ubuntu in a standard kvm vps?

I tried the docker provided script two weeks ago without problems.

I’m using the latest CentOS 7 inside a VirtualBox VM.

I have everything working now but I had to figure out a bunch of manual steps.

If you search here, you’ll see many, many problems with CentOS. If you don’t want problems, you should use Ubuntu.

The instructions that you refer to say pretty clearly:

It is definitely true that if you don’t follow the instructions, the instructions don’t work.

4 Likes

I didn’t have “many many” problems — “git” didn’t get installed and docker didn’t get started. Once I realized that, it was plain sailing and everything just works fine.

As for the instructions, CentOS 7 matches the constraint, “At minimum, a 64-bit Linux OS with a kernel version of 3.10+ is required”

The instructions do not hint at all that distros other than Ubuntu will have problems.

1 Like

Most other distros don’t have problems with Docker. CentOS is “special” in this regard. Feel free to search and learn more… or, y’know… don’t.

I have no problem using a different distro – it’s just that everything else I have runs on RH/Centos/Fedora distros and having to go down the Debian route for one thing didn’t seem necessary.

Feel free to follow up with Red Hat to determine why Docker is so badly supported on their Linux clone.

1 Like