Where's the upgrade button on the dashboard?

unsupported-install

(David Jameson) #1

OK - my brand new installation tells me that I should upgrade (see first screen shot)

According to the documentation, upgrading is as easy as clicking the Update button on the dashboard. Only problem is, I can’t see any such button on my dashboard. What am I missing?

Thanks

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #2

Looks like you did use a bitnami install. That doesn’t have the one click update feature and we don’t support those here.

I recommend backing it up and reinstalling using the official installer discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

(David Jameson) #3

Aha — yes I did — seemed easier than doing everything manually but I don’t mind trying it this way. I don’t have anything to backup, still trying to figure out if Discourse will work for me (looks like it will as long as I continue to do a hack to change the port of the URL for invites)

(David Jameson) #4

So the instructions on that page do not quite work.

1. The wget command that supposedly installs both docker and git doesn’t!

So I installed git directly.

1. After running discourse-setup and filling the info, I got the message “rebuilding in 5 seconds” and then soon after,

which: no docker.io in (/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin)
    Device “docker0” does not exist.
    Cannot connect to the docker daemon - verify it is running and you have access

So now I have no idea whether that wget mechanism installed docker and having never needed docker before, I’ll have to educate myself. By the way, why can’t discourse be installed directly on a machine or VM? Why is docker necessary for discourse?

I’ll spend some time and figure it out but it’s a little frustrating when the directions are wrong and/or incomplete.

(David Jameson) #5

The instructions left out (or the sh that ran after the download of docker (and git?) didn’t run ) the command

systemctl start docker

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #6

Are you using latest Ubuntu in a standard kvm vps?

I tried the docker provided script two weeks ago without problems.

(David Jameson) #7

I’m using the latest CentOS 7 inside a VirtualBox VM.

I have everything working now but I had to figure out a bunch of manual steps.

(Jay Pfaffman) #8

If you search here, you’ll see many, many problems with CentOS. If you don’t want problems, you should use Ubuntu.

The instructions that you refer to say pretty clearly:

It is definitely true that if you don’t follow the instructions, the instructions don’t work.

(David Jameson) #9

I didn’t have “many many” problems — “git” didn’t get installed and docker didn’t get started. Once I realized that, it was plain sailing and everything just works fine.

As for the instructions, CentOS 7 matches the constraint, “At minimum, a 64-bit Linux OS with a kernel version of 3.10+ is required”

The instructions do not hint at all that distros other than Ubuntu will have problems.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Most other distros don’t have problems with Docker. CentOS is “special” in this regard. Feel free to search and learn more… or, y’know… don’t.

(David Jameson) #11

I have no problem using a different distro – it’s just that everything else I have runs on RH/Centos/Fedora distros and having to go down the Debian route for one thing didn’t seem necessary.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

Feel free to follow up with Red Hat to determine why Docker is so badly supported on their Linux clone.