Who is banning my users?

(Jonahss) #1

A couple of my users are sending me messages that their account was banned as soon as they created it. I can’t tell if this is happening automatically, or if one of my admins is blocking accounts. Is there a way to check which user/process blocked a user?

Display Reason for Automatic Blocks by System

is there nothing showing in your admin logs?

(Jonahss) #3

Ah! That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Seems the System user is blocking them. Maybe it thinks they’re spam?

under your logs tab do you have anything in screened emails, screened IPs or screened URLs?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Let me guess, did you set minimum post length to 1 or something like that?

(probus) #6

This has happened in our forum as well. A new user is blocked and their first post ends up in the approval queue. Don’t know why either because the reason is not in the logs.

I don’t think setting minimum post length to 1 should be a reason to block new users, but no, that’s not it…

(Sam Saffron) #7

Check the typing time block in site settings

(Jonahss) #9

There’s about a dozen screened emails and IPs.

Typing time block is 3000ms. It’s possible a lot of our users quickly paste their question into the edit field. There are many non-native english speakers, so they might be writing up their post then pasting it in. I’ve now disabled auto-blocking for violating the typing time block.

I enabled the email alert for automatically blocked users.

Should be good now, but will resurrect this if more users get blocked.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

All fine, but be aware this makes you significantly more vulnerable to spammers.

(Jonahss) #11

Yeah. I’ll keep an eye out and see if it’s worth it. I lowered the number of flags is takes to remove a topic.