Why are category names case sensitive?

(Tobias Eigen) #1

I have been running into difficulties because category names are case sensitive - and I don’t really understand why that is the case and I think it is a bug because it can cause confusion and unexpected name collisions.

Some examples:

• changing the name of a category from Blog to blog breaks the top level menu if categories/Blog was a menu item. Needed to be changed to categories/blog
  • blog import did not categorize imported posts to the blog category when Blog is in the settings. Needed to be changed to blog for it to work
  • it’s possible to have two categories with the same name with different case, e.g. blog and Blog. This is not only confusing but will cause name collision issues if both are set up with the same email address… which is thankfully not case sensitive. (update: I tried this and it did not let me add a conflicting email address - nicely done)

It seems to me that the case should just affect presentation but otherwise duplicate categories should not be allowed. Like email. Likewise, functionality like top level menus should not be concerned with case and should treat blog and Blog and even bLog :slight_smile: as identical.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

@neil can you take a look at this Monday. I agree that if emails aren’t case sensitive, category names should not be either.

(Neil Lalonde) #3

Fixed!

Also fixed!

Duplicate categories with different cased names are also not allowed anymore.

(Jeff Atwood) #4