Why descriptions needs to be posts?

(Maestro Magnifico) #1

One thing that really confused me when I installed Discourse is that I can’t delete some default posts. Why do we need descriptions for categories to be posts? I hate it, remove it now! :laughing: You are complicating, descriptions should be own db fields that can be edited in one click from category properties. That would be more user-friendly.

(Erick Guan) #2

We will need a place to write details about categories. And it’s easy to reuse the same logic. One topic doesn’t that hurt. You can unpin or just protect it.

IMO, there is one extra benefit. It can be used for tracking category history and usage, right? Since it’s a topic.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

The default text explains why it is there. Did you read it? This is the first part of meta, aka, “why does this category even need to exist?”

(Maestro Magnifico) #4

Well, I deleted “Meta” category, I don’t want it. And I would delete “Staff” category if I could. I think it’s better to let user decide how he want to use software instead of forcing him follow your rules. This kind of decisions makes software better - more flexible, more user-friendly. It’s more flexible to let user have separate category description from “detailed description” as a post. Or not have detailed (or mini) description at all if user choose so.

(mountain) #5

I prefer category descriptions as posts because then a member can go into the thread and ask questions about the category if need be. I like how threads and their posts (especially the OP) can be used for other things as well. It’s like having a wiki page and all posts below it double as discussion about that page. Without this feature, members would have to open new threads if they wish to discuss meta about the category and what should or should not be posted there.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Ok, feel free to submit pull requests if you want to build those features. Or use different free software if this free software does not meet your needs.

(Maestro Magnifico) #7

In all seriousness, I’m not hating or anything, I’m just leaving you guys a feedback in a little bit trolling way. :smiley: It’s just the way my brain works, I hope we cool. IMHO, you’ve created awesome software, but in this tiny aspect made not the best decision. Meta explanation sounds like “We made this software that can do all the things, but we limit you to use it only one direction, although there’s no technical limits on this, but we rly like to teach people how to use our software right way”. :laughing: It’s kindda provoks user on “jes… mom, get off my back” reaction.

(Maestro Magnifico) #8

As a programmer, I look at this this way - you can have description now, but you can’t not have it. And if you can’t do something that you want, it says that software flexibility is in deficit. Especially if this is the first thing that comes to your head after installation - it tells a lot about how critical this flexibility deficit is.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

(Sam Saffron) #10
body {
  display: none !important;
}

problem solved!

(Seven Du) #11

I love the post as description idea. Actually it’s a post as anything idea(e.g. some posts can be set to show on top of every page). I have this idea 10+ years before and I tried in some of my programs but really this is the first time I see in a serious project.

(Maestro Magnifico) #12

And I hate it. Let’s show list of users as posts then or badgets as posts. No, I don’t even like the idea of pages as posts. Posts should be posts, descriptions should be descriptions.