Why doesn't this link display a onebox?

People,

I have put this into a post on my Discourse site but I noticed it did not create a thumbnail of the page in the post - and it doesn’t seem to be working here either . .

https://nestdhomes.com.au

Am I missing something or is it something to do with the site itself? Some JS thing or something?

Thanks,
Phil.

The site you’re trying to link to does not have any OpenGraph tags. That’s why Discourse does not generate a preview for it.

8 Likes

@joe , Right - thanks for that info - I will look it up . .

P.

2 Likes

@Johani ,

I just put the four required properties for every page on my personal web page here:

but that isn’t working either - am I still missing something? (I even restarted nginx to see if that would help).

Thanks,
Phil.

Have you checked it using http://iframely.com/debug – I’d start there first.

2 Likes

Yes, both og:title and og:description must be present for onebox to work on Discourse. Currently og:description is missing on your site.

2 Likes

After adding

(the ogp page says “The four required properties”)

looks OK but after re-editing the Discourse post and re-starting nginx again . . still no go . . could it be a caching thing somewhere?

That is true but for oneboxing to happen on Discourse, the onebox gem require both og:title and og:description as per:

2 Likes

OK, thanks for that - but if the framely check is working, shouldn’t my link in the previous post above just start working? (I even tried editing and resaving it).

There is indeed a cache. Try adding a random query parameter to the URL (if supported).

1 Like

Trying again here:

• OK now that is displaying in the preview on the right properly . . will it display after I hit “Reply” ?

No . . I don’t get it . .

Now that you have added og:description as well, the oneboxing will work. Let’s test here:

2 Likes

I suppose the rationale is that a one-box that contains nothing but the title would be meaningless. But I think the second element doesn’t have to be the description. In the example above, for example, I think it would work fine with just title and image. So how about requiring title plus image or description?

@techAPJ ,

Hmmm . . I can see it has worked for you - why did it show up like that in the preview box for me but then NOT in the post itself?

If I refresh the page, shouldn’t that same link now show up where I have used it above?

You would need to rebake existing posts.

2 Likes

Does that mean create anew?

No. Press the admin wrench on the post and select “rebuild html”

1 Like

Ah! Excellent - many thanks!