Why not wholesale replacement of categories with tags?

(Tobias Eigen) #1

Continuing the discussion from Add Tags notification settings on user preferences:

Can you elaborate? Why is it a bad idea to replace categories with tags?

Except for the fact that tags UI needs to be developed further to allow people to more easily see and manage the tags they are following, which seems to be planned, tags seem ideal for a community like ours that has discussions across many crosscutting themes/categories/tags. We have many discussions that don’t fit in just one category, so we often find ourselves choosing one and then creating tags for the other categories. Or some members are reverting to email because they don’t know which category to use.

My current consideration is to propose dropping all categories except those that are used for a very specific purpose, e.g. to provide a private space for a subset of members to connect or to provide an announcements space that all members are expected to watch (and are set to be watching by default). Otherwise it seems to me we could have a watercooler category for “off topic” just for fun topics, and another to contain all discussions. Then we’d organize discussions within these categories using tags.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

If you do not need any walls, then tags are fine. But if people start asking you for the ability to mute tags, you needed walls (categories).

(Tobias Eigen) #3

What do the tag notification prefs do exactly?

I guess if people start asking for the ability to limit access to a particular tag then it’s time to convert it into a category?