Why was I notified about a linked post?

(Jens Maier) #1

I’ve been using Discourse here on meta for a while and thought I had come across all the various notification types – it was easy enough to figure out what they mean, anyways – when this popped up:

Linked post:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/beginners-guide-to-deploy-discourse-on-digital-ocean-using-docker/12156

So… yeah. Can’t figure out what’s going on. I’ve never posted in that topic and the linked post doesn’t quote or refer to anything of mine, as far as I can see. The timeframe roughly matches a like I received which appears in my feed but not in the notifications… could this be a case of misattribution or am I just blind and/or stupid?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #2

That post was edited by @codinghorror about 3.5 hours before you created this topic. It turns out you linked to it from this post:

From what I understand, Discourse will notify you of edits to posts that you’ve linked to so you can keep abreast of any changes and perhaps change your linking.

I don’t believe this is a bug. I’ve recategorized this as FAQ and changed the title so it can be easily found in the future.

(Jens Maier) #3

Good catch, I totally overlooked the link to my post in the gutter.

Which necessitates the question, shouldn’t this type of notification be redesigned? I understand the rationale behind notifying me when a post I linked to was edited, but the way this information is presented is quite lacking, especially when, as happened here, gutter links are folded away.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Actually you shouldn’t be notified when a post you linked to was edited. So this is indeed a bug.

You should only be notified when someone links to your post initially. As in “oh look Joe linked to your post, go check out what he said about your post when he linked to it!”

My guess is the code is somehow detecting it as a “new” link, but it wasn’t.

@sam I keep seeing reports of this, and I know there is a bug here.

(Sam Saffron) #5

This is now fixed:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/5d9eefbfed796b7e61a35a30983487256e4db3b6

(Sam Saffron) #6