Width of the usercard

(Kane York) #1

Continuing the discussion from Discourse General Polish:

I would actually appreciate if the usercard was wider most of the time, actually.

Here, I’ve set the max-width to 465px with Stylish, and it seems to be just the right width to get all 3 buttons on one line:

Here’s what it looks like for someone with text:

Ping @fantasticfears

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Yeah it should be considerably wider by default. Widescreen is a thing, and we don’t show this on mobile at all.

(Sam Saffron) #3

I agree, we should optimise for people who care and fill out information in the profile.

We should have a consistent width that is wider than what we have now.

(Konrad Borowski) #4

That assuming font like Arial. With different font, such as DejaVu Sans, it looks somewhat ugly. And what if “Show 123 posts in topic” button simply isn’t here?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

That’s because DejaVu Sans is an ugly font.

(Erick Guan) #6

What I tried in the PR is to make sure the user card can contain the user name with max length and at least one button. So what about 300px at least? Pull Request.

(Sam Saffron) #7

I say we get rid of the width voodoo javascript stuff and just display all usercard popups the same width. @awesomerobot can decide what that is, it can not look horrible like what @codinghorror’s usercard looks like and needs to look reasonable for people who filled up nothing.

(Vikhyat Korrapati) #8

Seconding this, I’m having to add a conditional there to modify the usercard to display badges which is a huge pain.

(Sam Saffron) #9

Cool, we agree then, can you remove all that voodoo and send a PR through?

(Sam Saffron) #10

I fixed this, width is hardcoded to 460px now which seems fine. @awesomerobot can tweak as he sees fit.

(Jeff Atwood) #11