Will Discourse play nicely with CMS' like 107?

(Kim) #1

Hi everyone,

I’m a newcomer to the community and your forum concept.

What I’ve seen so far I am finding intriguing but also quite daunting for a new user and finding it a bit difficult to see where I need to go first to learn more about it and the features.

But overall, the idea of moving the forums away from the tried and testing 2001 edition to something more suited to the era of social media is definetely something that sounds worth trying out!

I was curious how will Discourse integrate with ready-to-use content management systems? My community currently uses e107 and we’ve tended to use their forum plug-in for the fully integrated experience it provides, but I’d be curious how Discourse plans to integrate with these moving forward?

Thanks in advance - and also for any guidance as to where a newcomer should first go to be more acquainted. Saw the FAQ, saw the presentation of ForumCon about the philosophy…

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #2

It is my understanding that CMS integration is a priority for the Discourse developers, but there’s no API or other such guidelines set in stone yet. There however an official plugin to integrate WordPress already, and an unofficial one for Jekyll.

For a niche (by comparison) CMS like e107, you’d most definitely have to rely on a community-contributed plugin. If you can’t do it yourself, ask around in the e107 community and offer payment if you can.

(Kim) #3

Thanks! I guess in our scenario it makes more sense to wait until the product has made it further along?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

Sounds like it, yeah. But the sooner you can set up a discourse instance for testing the better. Same goes for spreading the word about discourse in the e107 communities in hopes of finding someone interested in doing the integration.

(Kim) #5

Yes, I’ve flagged it up with some of the development team people that I know including the project leaders about this and invited them to check it out. They’re in the middle of rewriting the whole content management system so I thought the timing could be interesting for them to look into this.

I myself still miss a few things before I can fully envision Discourse in my community if you see what I mean. :slight_smile:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #6

I don’t, really ^^ Tell us more about what you’re missing on the forum! We all love discussing what discourse should and shouldn’t be.

(Kim) #7

Thanks @erlend_sh

Hopefully the feedback will be useful. Bear in mind - first time use was yesterday in between 10 different things. I’ve just learned how easy it to do a reply quote, so the more I see it the more I can see its potential.

I’m finding the frontpage to be a little too disorganised for a newcomer as it’s presented, especially when you’re used to the old way of organising forums. It took me a while to figure out that there were two different types of views possible between the flat view and the category.

The advanced features aren’t always self-explanatory, once you use them it’s really easy, but like quoting a reply I didn’t know how to do it but that just required me to play a little with it. ;). The feature set and particular the execution of the threads and the reply is very good indeed IMHO!