Will installation of Discourse ever gonna be simple as it is for Wordpress?

As you already know, Wordpress installation is easy as it gets. You download its files to server, create a MySQL DB and enter those informations in the installer and you’re good to go. So what are the plans for Discourse?

(Ben T) #2

I think the most important part of what you said is:

which is the biggest difficulty point at the moment, ignoring the different requirements. However, some stuff is easier than wordpress. You just git clone the code, create a database, then enter the information in the database configuration manually. Create a nginx/apache rule like wordpress, type a command, and everything is booted up and running.

The process is very similar, but there’s currently no installer to guide you through the information entering process.

(versvs) #3

I think the request by @steelmaiden is fair, but I also find that the main problems you have are not derived from Discourse itself. The few restrictions you find is that this is a Ruby (in fact, RoR) application and therefore it is not trivial to stack it along with many other web apps you may be running on your regular (most probably, LAMP) server.

It is a pain to configure everything so you can have discourse running at port 80 “easily” along with an Apache, but if you can enjoy a clean environment (say a little VM or dedicated server with no other servers already running) it is fairly straight forward, as detailed in https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-ubuntu.md

I just followed that guide this morning and everything seems to be OK right now.

(Sjors) #4

The work to setup a VPS specifically for Discourse can be automated using Puppet, which I’m learning and working on right now. Will release the script once it’s done.

I’m pretty sure the setup of Discourse will be made easier when development progresses, because it’s in everybody’s interest to do so.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

That is the goal but it may take some time to get there!

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Try our current under 30 minutes install!