Will there be any simple docker images created, I can't visualize currently how to run Discourse in a container service

docker

(chamunks) #1

I’m wondering if we will ever be able to run discourse with anything similar to docker-compose docker compose makes it very simple/easy to run in amazon’s EC2CS (Container Service) using services like Tutum it makes deploying to a Docker enabled machine very clicky. As awesome as the launcher can be, it feels very specific to running docker on bare metal that I manage. Not very cloud / container service friendly.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Can you be more specific? Our Docker install works great on Digital Ocean. That is a cloud provider.

(chamunks) #3

So in this case for WordPress there is a docker registry image for deploying to Tutum https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/tutum/wordpress-stackable/ it has a docker-compose.yml that auto populates into Tutum which actually can deploy to Digital Ocean and Ec2 and a few others. Even your own Docker daemons running anywhere you want to hook into Tutum.

Personally I don’t really care about tutu but I’m used to running docker containers with a simple.
docker run -d -link=“discourse-db” -name discourse-web -P port:port etc/discourse-web

There doesn’t seem to be any human readable method for this due to having a lot of magic embedded in the launcher.

Basically this, discourse_docker/launcher at master · discourse/discourse_docker · GitHub to an extent. It would just be nice to have a human readable version of a basic working one of these.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I don’t think that’s possible because Docker Compose “is not suitable for production use” (per the link you provided) and is missing a lot of features necessary for us to set up the image. I remember that’s what @sam said about it before.

(Sam Saffron) #5

Docker compose is still in early days, but bootstrapped images will launch just fine with compose if you insist, but you are going to have to do all the footwork here.

(Kane York) #6

Yep… what the launcher really is doing is building you a specialized Docker image in a mostly-reproducible fashion, but that depends on the variables in the app.yml.

Once the launcher script has finished that work, you can take the image and send it anywhere, but it’s not that useful for other people.

(chamunks) #7

I suppose that works to an extent I was hoping to avoid having to run my own private docker repository in order to host this software.