Will this work for hosting Discourse myself?

(Alex) #1

This is what I’m going after, before I make and host my own Discourse website.

:black_small_square: DigitalOcean [4 GB RAM, 2 vCPUs, 80 GB SSD DISK] ($20/month plan)
:black_small_square: Elastic Email (150,000 emails/month is free)
:black_small_square: SSL certificate from my domain host (domain.com)

TOTAL: $30-35~

Am I missing anything required before starting my discourse website and hosting it myself?

I have not signed up for Discourse or DigitalOcean yet

(Bhanu Sharma) #2

Definitely would work.

Should work as long as you don’t have a plan to run your discourse in mailing list mode.

You probably won’t need this as discourse will install SSL on it’s own using letsencrypt.

If you self host you don’t need to :slight_smile:

(Alex) #4

Excellent! :grin: What is mailing list mode?

(Bhanu Sharma) #5

Simply stated, mailing list mode allows your users to use forum only by interacting with emails. No need to visit a website.

(Alex) #6

Oh I see, how can I make that possible on a self-hosted Discourse website?

(Bhanu Sharma) #7

There is a setting in admin panel. It doesn’t makes a difference if your site is self hosted or discourse hosted. If you have configured inbound and outbound emailing properly then there shouldn’t be any issue.

(Jay Pfaffman) #8

Unless you know that you’re going to have lots of users, I would start with a $5 or $10/month droplet. It’s what I recommend for my standard installs. I generally recommend Mailgun because it’s easy to get configured, but Elastic Email should work too.

(Alex) #9

Mailgun is 10k free emails a month while ElasticEmail is 150k free…

(Jay Pfaffman) #10

I see a fair number of topics where people have had trouble with elastic email, but I’m going to give it another look soon

10,000 emails per month is quite enough for a small community.

(Christoph) #11

The problem is that EM is very rigid with adding an unsubscribe link and your address to the bottom of each and every outgoing email. Their logic is a mailinglist logic, not transactional emails. In my opinion, EM is simply not suitable for use with discourse:

Handling bouncing e-mails
(Jay Pfaffman) #12

Sounds like you just saved me some time!, @tophee! Thanks for that explanation.