Working with specific structures

(Markus) #1

Hello friends,

following issue: I need a specific structure of sections and subsections. The space before the enumeration is pretty frustrating to comply with the expected result. Especially if the enumeration will destroy the order of numbers.

Here is what I’m looking for:

Can someone help me?

(Mittineague) #2

I don’t know about getting the roman numerals and letters into markdown, but this is a good place to experiment

http://commonmark.org/help/tutorial/10-nestedLists.html

1. Meat
  2. Fruit
    1. Apple
    2. Orange
    3. Banana
      1. Yellow
      2. Green
      3. Black
    4. Cherry
  3. Dairy
    1. Milk
    2. Cheese

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

You can change CSS to control what enumerators are used at the various levels, but if you’ve got something really complicated your easiest solution is to use HTML. <ol>, <li> and friends are white listed (you might still need to use CSS to style the enumerations).

(Eli the Bearded) #4

Discourse does not whitelist the TYPE attribute on <OL> tag though.

<ol type="I">
  <li>Obersatz</li>
  <li>Def./Vorauss</li>
  <li>Subsumtion
    <ol type="1">
    <li>Obersatz</li>
    <li>Def./Vorauss</li>
    <li>Subsumtion
      <ol type="a">
      <li>Obersatz</li>
      <li>Def./Vorauss</li>
      <li>Subsumtion</li>
    </li>
    </ol>
  </li>
  </ol>
</li>
</ol>

Yields:

1. Obersatz
  2. Def./Vorauss
  3. Subsumtion
    1. Obersatz
    2. Def./Vorauss
    3. Subsumtion
      1. Obersatz
      2. Def./Vorauss
      3. Subsumtion

Instead of the capital roman numeral, arabic numeral, and lower case letter forms shown in the first post.

(Edit: kinda typo ridden post I had there. Also, that’s a lot of whitespace there. I’m guessing it is from three consecutive </OL>s or </LI>s.)

(Markus) #5

Thanks so far :slight_smile:

Looks like a real challenge. Actually, I don’t like to mix html code with markdown and having further issues with Mathjax and other special stylings.

What I need, is some “out of the box” solution. Some admin setting for defining the type of structure. Maybe related to to specific categories.

In my opinion, it’s pretty important to handle this in terms of overview and to comply of the scientific/typographical standards.

Sometimes you need:
I
II
… 1.
… 2.
… a)
… b)
… aa)
… bb)

and so on…

What are you thinking about a global preference to define the order of the markdown structure? A little hack / plugin for discourse, to handle this need?

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

I have tweaked that via CSS before, and I don’t know much about CSS.

(Markus) #7

@codinghorror What are you guys thinking about some optional table of contents?

Maybe a tag like [enable_toc] at the beginning of an post, that could create a Wikipedia-like overview of the structure? This would be a great help, to stay more organized at Discourse as knowledge base / wiki

(Jeff Atwood) #8

You can read the blog release post for Discourse 1.6 for info on deep linking to headers. That is all we have planned for the forseeable future.

(Tobias Eigen) #9

I brought this up a while ago - I still miss the way Drupal handled this.