Wp-discourse doesn't pull comments on private forums

(James) #1

I run a private forum (requires authentication to see posts), and I’d like to expose the discussion that happens on specific blog posts back to the blog.

Well, it seems that the wp plugin simply does a GET request for the posts on that topic, and upon seeing that auth is required, is redirected to login page in order to login.

Started GET "/t/[post slug]/156/wordpress.json?best=0&min_trust_level=1&min_score=0&min_replies=1&bypass_trust_level_score=50" for [ip] at 2013-09-15 14:04:09 +0000
Processing by TopicsController#wordpress as JSON
  Parameters: {"best"=>"0", "min_trust_level"=>"1", "min_score"=>"0", "min_replies"=>"1", "bypass_trust_level_score"=>"50", "slug"=>"escape-from-asylum", "topic_id"=>"156"}
Redirected to http://[hostname]/login
Filter chain halted as :redirect_to_login_if_required rendered or redirected
Completed 302 Found in 2ms (ActiveRecord: 0.0ms)
Started GET "/login" for [ip] at 2013-09-15 14:04:09 +0000

I’ve supplied the plugin with the API key, so I assumed it’ll be able to go ahead and pull the posts regardless of the auth mechanism. Is that not how it works?

Is there a way to force it get the content regardless if the private is forum or not (i.e., using the auth token)?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

It feels weird to me that private posts would be exposed on a public blog. As in, it feels incorrect and wrong.

(James) #3

From a users’ perspective there’s no expectation of privacy at all; nothing on the forum states that this is a “private” forum and that only other members can see their posts. That’s what PMs are for.

It’s “private” in the sense that you’re required to login to view and post, but all accounts are instantly activated, etc.

The plan is that this forum will be open to anon users eventually. The content that I will be pulling to my blog will serve as a teaser for users to register so they can also comment. It’s a “Quora” model, if you will.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Right, that is still not posting something on the public Internet for all to see…

(James) #5

I’m not following the argument.

So you’re saying that there’s an expectation of privacy on the forum because at some point a user had to login in order to see the content?

That’s like saying that Quora is a private social network because people need to create an account in order to view the answers posted to various questions. And that’s not the case because all questions and answers are on the public Internet for all to see.

(Michael John Kirk) #6

I have use for this too.

My use case is to display posts from our private forum into an external (equally private) site. The private site and forum use the same authentication (discourse authenticate with the “main” application, which serves as an oauth2 provider).

So far about 1/3 of our active users have logged into the forum. I’d like to increase that, as once people set up accounts they generally get a lot of value out of it.

I would like to display recent posts from discourse onto the main site to pull people into new discussions on the forum. Additionally, I would like to filter these by category.

Also, I’m considering howtogeek style discussion/comments on the end of (equally private) blog posts.

Both of these things would require me to be able to pull posts from our private discourse forum.

(Sam Saffron) #7

Recategorizing this as feature.

I am fine for someone to add “use api key when synchronizing posts” setting to wp-discourse. just submit a PR.