Link for new DM / personal chat message with pre-filled information

Continuing the discussion from Create a link to start a new personal message with pre-filled information:

I’d love to be able to have a URL that I could give to people, or easily put into a theme component, where if they clicked it, it would start a personal chat with that person or it would continue an already ongoing personal chat.

Is this something that currently exists?

If not, would others want this as well?

7 Likes

Yes, this would also be useful for the community I’m administrating!

As context:

• When setting up our Discourse instance, we decided to disable DMs in favor of the newer Chat function. We thought it would be confusing for our community members to have both.
  • Our Discourse has a category for support. I just replied to a topic where I used a DM link to my own profile (following the docs link above posted by @jimkleiber) to ask a member to share potentially private info with me, to continue helping him privately. But of course, we disabled DMs, so that didn’t work.

Having a simple link that opens a chat with a certain username would be helpful. Other pre-filled information isn’t that important for us.

6 Likes

Any update on this?
This would be really helpful for me!

3 Likes

Yes, I’m also interested in this, I raised the question somewhere about following a link in a chat (not PM), but I don’t remember where I wrote :thinking:

2 Likes

And I would need such link too, for support style invites. It would be much easier than send ordinary invite and give driving instructions to open an 1:1 chat, or for me need to create somekind reminder to open a chat when/if that person logs in.

5 Likes

I have an application and I want to enable users to chat with each other. This feature enables me to integrate chat seamlessly.

2 Likes

I’m also very interested in this, is there any news on adding it?

3 Likes

I’m happy to share that we’ve recently implemented the first version of this functionality, which will let you create a link to start a new chat with one or more users. You can try this in your community with the following URL…

https://[COMMUNITY]/chat/new-message?recipients=[USER1, USER2, ETC.]

…where you’ll replace:

• [COMMUNITY] with your community URL (e.g., meta.discourse.org)
  • [USER1, USER2, ETC.] with the username(s) of the member you want to chat with. If creating a link to start a chat with multiple members, separate with commas.

For now, this only works for direct messages to one or more individuals.

As you give this a go, please let us know if there are more improvements we could make here to better support your community!

7 Likes

Just to add a note, for now this only works to open a chat window in full page mode instead of drawer mode.

Working great here on Meta for me :+1:

6 Likes

This feature is amazing and just what I was looking for.

The one thing missing that would be very helpful is if there were a way to start a Group DM the same way.

Alternately: if there were a way to change a DM with multiple people to a Group DM that would be great. The main difference between the two being the ability to add a name to a DM with multiple people.

1 Like

Hi @lindsey - First off, thanks for building this. It is hugely helpful.

I’m running into an issue where each chat that is started this way is treated as unique even when it has the same people in it. For example if I start this chat:

https://mysite.com/chat/new-message?recipients=USER1,USER2,USER3

and then have a conversation, the next time I hit the same URL it creates a new group chat without any of the prior messages.

I’m generating these links dynamically and when I write out the URL I don’t have any way of knowing if the conversation is net new or the same recipients have already chatted before.

This probably isnt an easy problem to solve but it would be great if a DM already exists with the same recipient list it could just go there instead of spinning up an entirely new, blank DM.