Visualize markdown with mindmaps in Discourse

AI-generated summary

The discussion revolves around visualizing markdown with mindmaps in Discourse. leopedrini initiated the conversation, sharing a link to markmap.js.org and inquiring about a potential plugin or intention to integrate similar functionality into Discourse.

sam replied that there isn’t a plugin or theme available, but the community is welcome to create one. aschrijver shared a mindmap example using the provided link and sam demonstrated that Discourse already supports mindmaps through the mermaid theme component.

Arkshine experimented with Markmap and found it can work with some adjustments. However, implementing it requires overcoming technical challenges, such as ensuring compatibility with Discourse’s Markdown-it library. Arkshine is working on a solution and promises to share an update soon.

Hello dears,

Is there any plugin or intention to have something like this in Discourse?

3 Likes

No plugin or theme that I am aware of. I do not expect us to add something like this to core, but if the community wish to build a plugin or theme, sure!

7 Likes

Very handy utility. Including link to REPL to try it out, and a mindmap that conveys the idea:

A mindmap that provides an overview of Markmap

2 Likes
mindmap
  root((Discourse))
    Origins
      Long history
      Popularisation
        British popular psychology author Tony Buzan
    Research
      On effectiveness<br/>and features
      Supports MindMaps already!!!
        Uses
            Creative techniques
            Strategic planning
            Argument mapping
    Tools
      Pen and paper
      Mermaid

We support mindmaps now in the mermaid theme component!

example source:

mindmap
  root((Discourse))
    Origins
      Long history
      Popularisation
        British popular psychology author Tony Buzan
    Research
      On effectiveness<br/>and features
      Supports MindMaps already!!!
        Uses
            Creative techniques
            Strategic planning
            Argument mapping
    Tools
      Pen and paper
      Mermaid

markmap could be implemented, similarly as a theme component I guess.

9 Likes

Oh, lovely :heart_eyes: thank you Sam!

(Btw, the mail notification of your post does not contain the mind map, but shows its textual definition instead)

1 Like

Out of curiosity, I tried to make it work with Markmap because it’s another interesting mindmap. It needs some detailed attention, but it can work. Hopefully, I can share something based on it. :smile:

6 Likes

@Arkshine is there an update on the mindmap

Me too, i am interested.

Dear @Arkshine , could you please tell the “trick” to make it work on Discourse? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I started to look at it again a few days ago, and I think I’m on the right track to post something soon. :smile:
It’s more work than expected.

On a technical side, Discourse relies on the Markdown-it library to handle markdown and has many custom plugins attached to it.
In my previous video, I used the library from a CDN link. However, markmap, by default, tries to load Markdown-it from a CDN and use another instance. This means you won’t be able to use specific Discourse features in a markmap, so you must implement the library differently to use the instance from Discourse.

Stay tuned. :+1:

3 Likes